Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 28-10-2011 , 12:06 AM
Acid44

1986 Mercedes 190E - Game modeling practice

Been working my ass off lately, but now my current project is going through a bunch of testing and getting passed around a lot, so I have some time off. So I decided to get some practice so I can do better on my next project.

Always really loved the Mercedes 190E, so I decided to model that, but realised after I started that I'm doing the wrong version. Stuck with it though, because in real life, I have no choice of what to do anyways. Gonna do road going and track versions. Poly budget is 40,000 for exterior+low res interior, and 20,000 for the high res interior that you'd see from the in car view.

Right now it's sitting at 14,742 tris, wheels on it right now are temporary, the stock one will have stock wheels and track version will have BBS LMs (unless I find something better), so I haven't included those in the poly count yet.

Please do give as much criticism as possible, Really trying to step up my game here ;D

Click to enlarge.

user added image user added image user added image user added image

Attached Images

Last edited by Acid44; 28-10-2011 at 02:13 AM.
# 2 28-10-2011 , 06:40 PM
Acid44
Few little fixes and added a bit of an ass

user added image user added image

# 3 28-10-2011 , 07:32 PM
Hey thats a great start. I dont see a problem in the modeling itself. Only some minor things. The textures of grill and frontlights are a bit too big and it seems that the bump? on the frontlights might be too much. And your taillights look too big, not sure...they just feel big.
As for your rims, you could maybe go whether for OZ-Racing wheels or maybe some Borbet A or of course the classic BBS RS rims! Whichever you choose, itll look great since they all have been used on a 190! user added image

# 4 28-10-2011 , 09:23 PM
Acid44
Thanks man.

The bump maps on the headlights are temporary, they're just default maps that came with the rendering program. The tail lights are proportionate, maybe it's just cause there's nothing in them yet that it looks big

I like those OZ rims, might use those when I do the race version user added image

The BBS would be way too advanced for me or else I'd use those user added image and I hate those Borbet wheels user added image

# 5 28-10-2011 , 09:43 PM
Then youve got a choice user added image

# 6 29-10-2011 , 12:13 AM
Acid44
Update - Some stuff added. Has a proper ass now, along with wing mirrors, windows, window borders, tons of fixes, and probably something I'm forgetting

Some work to do around the back still with that line that goes around, but I'll get to that next and post it with the next update

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 29-10-2011 , 04:18 AM
Acid44
Some more details done. Still forgot to add windscreen wipers, but I'll do those in a little while.

Renders coming soonish

EDIT: New renders added

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Acid44; 29-10-2011 at 05:15 AM.
# 8 29-10-2011 , 09:34 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
Why not soften your normals to remove the hard edges at the front and back fenders

# 9 29-10-2011 , 11:44 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I think those hard edges are intended.

Looking good Acid. But I think I'll take mine in silver. user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 10 29-10-2011 , 03:33 PM
Lifetime Member
Not another car bro LOL. Looks good mate...dig that classic car clay you have there...dig it.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 29-10-2011 , 05:37 PM
Acid44
Yeah, those hard edges are intended. Would do it in silver, but I don't feel like making a new shader in the rendering program, too lazy/takes ages to get it right user added image

@Bullet - The clay shader would be equivalent to a lambert (I think) with RGB 112, 81, 56 if you wanna try it user added image

thanks guys user added image

Any ideas for other stuff to go on the exterior before I move to the interior?

EDIT: @Duke - was about to model some wheels for it to replace the temp ones and realised that those OZ wheels are from the DTM version. Not quite sure I'm ready to take that on, people get really picky about cars from actual race series' user added image

Last edited by Acid44; 29-10-2011 at 07:15 PM.
# 12 29-10-2011 , 08:33 PM
Acid44
Quick update - Added windscreen wiper, some fixes on the seems, and brought the underbody up so that the bumpers will be able to break off in game

next will be starting the wheels I think, then interior, low res interior, then mirror the body and make the unsymmetrical crap like fuel filler cap, aerial, etc.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 29-10-2011 , 11:28 PM
Acid44
Wheels done now, along with the floor and rear seats of the interior.

Not much left to do now, so as long as I keep up this pace I think I could have this done by tomorrow night

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 30-10-2011 , 12:00 AM
Lifetime Member
Going well mate...LOL I will remember those settings write them down...I like the shade. C'mon do the racing wheels man...you can do it

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 15 30-10-2011 , 12:21 AM
Acid44
I'm doing the road version first, then a race version after user added image