Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 30-10-2011 , 03:20 PM
Subscriber

snapping help

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to have Maya snap a vertex in a certain way.

Let's say, I created a window and want to distort it, so I grab vertex A and move it away, the problem is that due to the geometry of the house the window has a vertex C along the A-B edge. Is there a way to move the C vertex to the dashed line - to create a straight line, other than by eyeballing it?

Thanks,
Martin

user added image

# 2 30-10-2011 , 03:32 PM
Lifetime Member
The easiest way would be to delete Vertex C to straighten it and then if you need C add it back after with the split polygon tool.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 30-10-2011 , 04:01 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply, but what can I do if I can't delete the C vertex, because it's part of the geometry?
e.g.:

user added image

# 4 30-10-2011 , 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Maybe increasing the grid density would give you more snapping room when you jump into an ortho view. Check out the script --> here. You can always change the 50, 10 and 5 to whatever.

- Genny
# 5 30-10-2011 , 05:41 PM
EduSciVis-er
This takes a small amount of effort, but a reasonable workaround would be to create a curve (CV curve tool), hold v and snap the curve to A and B. Then hold c and snap vertex C to the curve. Should do the trick.

# 6 30-10-2011 , 06:32 PM
Acid44
I would just delete the edges supporting vertex c and then cut them in again

# 7 31-10-2011 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the help guys.

I ended up doing it by deleting the edges and then putting them back in as per Acid's advice, but I'm still couriers as to how to do it by snapping to the curve..

I add the curve between points A and B, but the curves-snapping doesn't work for me.

I googled the problem and it seems pretty common; this is exactly same thing that happens to me:

Maya snap to a curve in only one axis problem - YouTube

Is there a specific way how to use the snap to curves?

# 8 31-10-2011 , 10:04 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, I'm not sure how to maintain it in the same axis... it seems like something Autodesk should get on. Exact accuracy doesn't seem to be Maya's strong point anyway.

# 9 01-11-2011 , 11:25 AM
Lifetime Member
Maya doesnt have a snap to refline or insert point into line...its been a real pain for me. Im used to Survey software that does it...as stwert said though this package isnt designed for accuracy. Acid and jspogg have the right ways...painful stuff. I too have asked this question...I wanted to make lets say 10 random points snap to a refline...no can do...you have to snap to grid first and then try to rotate and move them or cut faces...pain in the butt.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 10 01-11-2011 , 02:32 PM
This will help I hope.

Just a note I mention "retain component spacing" after I do a couple examples so watch the whole video. If you jump off after the first example and "retain component spacing" is not checked you will get unexpected results.

Cheers,
Rick

howto snap vertices of an object to a point on an edge - YouTube

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 01-11-2011 at 02:35 PM.
# 11 02-11-2011 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber
Thank you so much for the video Rick!

I spent so much time trying to figure it out myself.. but to no avail. Your explanation is excellent.. thanks again! much appreciated!