Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 09-11-2011 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber
ok I am in a snagg again, Ok here's what's going on. i am following this tutorial from DT and the instructor is doing what I am trying to do with the Create Polygon tool to draw out section on the next Gen Character.

Ok as I am following him . when I hit enter to close the loop that creates and eye on the character mine turn all yellow but his remain another color allowing to go to his verts and move them around. When I select mine the entire thing turn yellow. I select one of the verts and select the move tool, everything move is not what I want at all.

There has to be some setting that he's using so it allow him to create his shapes and edit from there. Mine want allow me to edit like he's doing. I am running Maya 2010 and it seems like he has an older version.
But I would think that that should not matter right.

Frigg no matter what I do this is not working out. I am gonna walk away from this and think for a while. Something is not clicking here. Some where a setting is throwing me off. It's as if once I press "enter to close the shap, it locks all of the verts together for some reason.

Thanks but i have to walk away from this computer for a while. The problem is these instructors do not explain these things at all. I know i am to search and seek these things out and I have for the last 3 hours. I am getting nowhere user added imageuser added imageuser added image

# 17 10-11-2011 , 01:56 AM
SM Tea Boy
Right click go to vertex mode. Should do the trick

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 18 10-11-2011 , 02:59 AM
EduSciVis-er
It might be that you have soft select on. Hit b to turn it off.

# 19 10-11-2011 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber
Stwert-

That did it now they are no longer locked. There's a lot by default that I am not aware of. And I bet in version 2010 it's different from other version by default.

Thanks and to all of you please forgive my rudeness. It's that coming from Modo and got really good at modeling in Modo. However I have to break away from all I've learned . But approach Maya as if I am learning how to walk all over again and i will screw up a lot until it starts to stick. Yes I got really pist due to instructors out there that assume we know what they mean when they skip over a detail here and there. Oh well right.

A big thanks to you all. Now back to the drawing board.

Cheers!

# 20 10-11-2011 , 09:32 AM

Thanks Guys For all your help. Also I switch my mouse to a Belkin Mouse and it work, However it is much slower moving across the screen. Lets see if I can find my Mighty Mouse and see it that work. I will look into the documentation.

Thanks again to all of you.

All these things are controlled with the mouse setting software. There should be a program the comes with the mouse to (1) assign what function each button does like act as a generic middle mouse button. which is what I said in my original reply and (2) control things like sensitivity which controls the movement rate of the cursor which is the problem you are now having. I don't think you have to keep changing mice. You have to go into the control software for the mouse and set what the buttons do and the mouse sensitivity.

Unless Macs do not allow you to set such things which would be incredibly retarded!

This is the mouse control software for my mouse and as you can see the middle mouse button can be set to do a metric butt ton of things other then be a generic "middle mouse button" and you can also see the mouse sensitivity (pointer speed) can also be set.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 10-11-2011 at 09:43 AM.
# 21 10-11-2011 , 09:47 AM
And yes coming from modo you have to be very mindful of the buttons you press. Your fingers are going to have a mind of their own and want to press modo hotkeys like the b-key which in maya toggles soft selection mode which is an incredibly limited version of modos falloff system.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675