Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 31-01-2012 , 11:35 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

Auron

Hi Guys

Hope everyone is alright.
I haven't posted anything because I am very busy;
-started at FXPHD for Nuke stuff
-In a couple of weeks I will be starting a drawing course
-Enrolled in a training at CG talk:
https://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=197

For the latter everyone got to pick a gamecharacter of his or her choosing, he only mandatory thing was that it was a finished design so you have a clear vision to work towards.
I picked Auron from Final fantasy X, if you don't know him take a look :
Auron battle - YouTube

I have altered some things to my taste but he is ( hopefully) still recogniseable as Auron, aside from the fact it's obviously one of the best sculpts ..ever ( yes I am laying it on a bit thick, but you have to sell yourself right? user added image) , I am really happy that this is the result of only 4 short weeks ( mostly in the evening and on a lost sunday afternoon) and that I started from scratch and as some of you might know I tend to noodle so much that normally I am getting this progress in a matter of months not weeks user added image.
Another good thing is that the total course lasts for a total of 8 weeks, so maybe...just maybe I will post something in the finished worksection user added image

Again hope everyone is well and C&C is of course very welcome

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 01-02-2012 , 12:25 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I hope you can apply what you learn from the workshop to your work mate. They are supposed to be quite good. What are they charging these days?

Im not a fan of character 'copies', its like when people copy characters from Star Wars...they never look right...never. But if you are copying it...copy it...when people say they are adjusting it to their tastes, alarms go off in my head and I just think its an excuse to not do it exactly. Now if you steampunked it, I would think twice.....that would be cool

Jay

# 3 01-02-2012 , 02:35 PM
Hi Jay

How's life?
They charge quite a bit, this course costs around $600, but I really like it.
For me it's mostly knowing a start to finish procedure so I get better and quicker.

"Im not a fan of character 'copies', its like when people copy characters from Star Wars...they never look right...never. "
- Tell me about it user added image the only thing it does for me is training the eye

"when people say they are adjusting it to their tastes, alarms go off in my head and I just think its an excuse to not do it exactly. Now if you steampunked it, I would think twice.....that would be cool
- I work of the conceptart of the character and use all the footage I can find on getting a likeness, with adjusting I don't mean anything big, it's more like adding additional detail, damage and so on, since the original model is a bit clean ( they had to be, because it was a PS2 title it hadn't much resources at its disposal).
If you take a look at him you"ll see that I haven't deviated from concept in the main lines just in the fine details ( which aren't present in the original design).
Steampunk design is very cool but it wouldn't work with this character I feel at least.

# 4 02-02-2012 , 08:39 PM
Subscriber
Awesome pick!

i think you should do a clean version and not so clean version

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 03-02-2012 , 08:44 PM
Hi Chirone

thanks, I will be happy if I finish only the one version user added image

# 6 04-02-2012 , 07:15 PM
# 7 06-02-2012 , 11:04 AM
Lifetime Member
Wow mate...sorry I missed this....looking bloody good I must say!!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 06-02-2012 , 04:50 PM
No worries bullet and thanks.

How are you?
Saw on the news there was a flood in east Australie

# 9 07-02-2012 , 12:30 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh mate Im fine mate...very tired lately..Im working 10 days on 4 off at the mo in the Pilbara region...bloody hot. Yeh they had some water and a few deaths...lots of damage..though not as bad as the cold snap in your part of the world...up to 300 now?? sad sad stuff.

I myself sat through a cyclone 2 weeks ago...great stuff...140 plus winds...and RAIN...and I mean RAIN...wooohooooo...great fun..well for me anyway...I love storms..Im a bit mental apparently...but..I think I resemble that remark.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 10 07-02-2012 , 06:51 AM
Started on the facial details....

What do you mean with 300? But yes we have had a bit of snow, have experienced worse though, but as always our public transportation is grinding to a halt, the sad thing is, that in a country like Poland where they are considerably less wealthy, their trains still run when there's an armageddon going on.
Last Friday I was on Amsterdam Central and everything just shut down, I would understand it if snow suddenly popped up, but it was anounced in the beginning of the week and on the day itself it stopped snowing around 2 O' clock in the afternoon and on 6 O clock everything was still closed down I was home at around 9....rant over user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 07-02-2012 , 08:16 AM
Lifetime Member
300 dead from the cold snap in Europe mate. LOL well that happens all the time with the transport....hardly hapeens here....unless the roads melt or tracks buckle from the heat.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 12 07-02-2012 , 09:17 PM
hehe Bullit you are always looking at the upside of everything don't you..300 dead.
Sitting in a cyclone wouldn't be my preffered holiday, I once was on a sailboat on the north sea when a storm was raging , don't know how you guys chart the force of the wind, but I was there at windforce 9 ( scale goes to twelve) and I puked my guts out..

Wel have been busy noodling ..

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 07-02-2012 , 09:19 PM
Subscriber
nice work on the sword, the tip looks like it would fall off with that giant crack though

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 14 08-02-2012 , 12:47 AM
Lifetime Member
Agree with Chirone, nice work on the sword..yeh maybe Chirone the crack is a bit big...but if it is magically endowed it wont matter.

Force 9! and on a boat....wicked!!!! Nah Im not on holiday mate...I work in the Pilbara..so I was in my camp room when it hit...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 15 08-02-2012 , 09:41 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ahh I kept thinking something was amiss. The hand holding the sword looks like its made of rubber plus the elbow is very round in its form, it needs that 'push' from the elbow joint to liven it up

J