Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 05-04-2012 , 11:45 PM
If someone has worked for free and found it to be a valuable experience, fair enough. But how does someone support themselves during this time? It's simply a luxury that is unaffordable for a lot of people - in fact I would say most people. I certainly couldn't have done it. It's just one of the reasons why I disagree with unpaid internships. You immediately alienate a huge portion of candidates who can’t afford to work for nothing. Those who can afford it risk being exploited by unscrupulous studios.

Again, I am sure there are many who’ve benefited, but the whole idea of it I find to be wrong. An intern should be paid minimum wage at least, unless it is a position funded by an external source such as a university or training body.

# 32 06-04-2012 , 03:16 AM
Subscriber
All this talk of not being paid, never getting a raise, and hiring crap people because better people are expensive reminds me of my first job. Never got a raise in the 2.5 years there (and neither did anyone else). Hell they said they didn't want to do a performance review because they didn't know how to.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 33 06-04-2012 , 03:30 AM
Lifetime Member
After reading more of this thread...can I say something...its not an artists problem alone....I have personally seen this and experienced this in the construction industry and Im sure there a other industries that do the same. I used to be a junior Surveyor...working in the bush...getting paid diddly squat compared to everyone else.

I took this in my stride for a while because I was learning...but after asking for a raise 6 months on..I was told to go jump as I was not a qualified Surveyor. My argument was...well Im not qulaified BUT Im doing the work of a qualified Surveyor...in fact I was so good I was doing the work of TWO.......but they were charging the client TOP f*****g dollar for my services.

After the raise rebuttal I told them to SHOVE thier job up thier collective behinds!!! Now this was 27 yeaqrs ago!!!!! I am suprised that this is still a practice and collective Unions and or Governments let this bullshit carry on!! Again though it depends on you as a person...if you are willing to cop this..then do so BUT you do have choices.

I know its a cutthroat game...and sometimes you have to work for SFA to get a leg up...but this smacks of complete and utter contempt for honest people.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 34 06-04-2012 , 09:07 PM
I understand most can't live the life I have. I am very lucky. When I mentioned the free work and internships all were conducted through Columbia or family friends. Unfortunately for most the world revolves around nepotism...

But I will say I have had access to many higher positions based on my film degrees. College without a doubt allows the door to open more but the content is always the endgame. That and speed, at least in Los Angeles!

# 35 06-04-2012 , 10:04 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
When in the position of an intern you have to take the rough with the smooth especially at that level of the ladder and if it is the life for you then go for it but the choice is 'yours' if you fancy a slap in the face from time to time.

I'm still trying to get my head around all the angst, because if someone paid to get in a film school or some VFX school/college and didnt get jack shit from it after (a job) its still the same thing in hindsight. Firstly it was your choice to cough up the cash to do it, and then walk in the building to partake in the work itself, the risk is still the same at the end of the day as to whether or not you will actually get a job. Its the same as if you pay to go to university to study lets say law, you just arent guaranteed a job after, but it what you learn thats gonna help you in the future regardless....and how you choose to use that knowledge and experience gained is up to the individual. Thats how I see it.

Personally I am a true believer of what you put in you get back (because it has happened to me) I had to work damn hard to get to where I am now and Ive had certain bosses wipe their feet on me and have had me work until 'stupid o'clock' in the morning to learn what I know now and when I look back I look at it as if I was atually paying my dues as chavfister says...you gotta do it, theres just no easy way to do it.

So those who are looking to get into the industry, just be prepared to work hard, do your damdest unfortunately thats basically it. if you want it badlly enough you can have it...so f*** all the opinions and just get on with it -thats how it is for us

Jay