Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-04-2012 , 09:47 PM

Connect mirrored vertices?

I am modeling a character where I split it in and planned to "Duplicate Special" it.
I'm at this bit ATM and I wish to connect the vertices perfectly. I'm holding down "V" as im moving the vertex
but for some apparent reason they don't connect, They only skip by eachother, Help Anyone?

# 2 13-04-2012 , 09:55 PM
The thin red line
Why not use mesh/mirror geometry with merge verts on.............dave

Edit:If you are having problems linning up the verts using the move tool its most likely you have retain component spacing on, turn it off by double clicking on the move tool and untick on the right hand side of the panel

Last edited by daverave; 13-04-2012 at 10:01 PM.
# 3 13-04-2012 , 10:07 PM
As Dave mentions you might want align all the verts to an edge and set the pivot to that edge clear the history and then use the mirror geometry command with merge verts on (this is the default). This is in the mesh menu or you can hold the shift and the rmb and mirror geometry is in that marking menu.

One thing to remember when you are snapping verts make sure you are in world mode and that you have keep spacing unchecked.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 14-04-2012 , 07:47 PM
another quick hint, if you are doing this way, you should have all the vertices you want to connect at 0-X so when you are modeling, and if you might use some kind of average vertices, or sculp geometry tool that the vertices might move around, just go 1 by 1 and snap them to the grid at the center, then when you duplicate it (and as ctbram said, make sure the pivot is also at the 0 coordinate) all the vertices will be in the same spot and if so you can actually drag select all of them (yes ALL of them) and merge them, (Maya will notice they are all grouped by 2, and merge only the overlapping vertices) it will save you a lot of time selecting each one of them snapping to the other and then merging it user added image

# 5 14-04-2012 , 08:30 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
If I may suggest....

For absolute perfect alignment of the verts from a mirrored objects centre simply go to the status line at the top of the maya GUI, there you will see the menu of input line operations, select the verts to be zero'd out, then simply select 'absolute transform' from the dropdown menu and type zero in the x box, the verts should then snap to world 0 on the x axis

Jay