Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 26-04-2012 , 02:16 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
you just going to need to mess around with the setting until you get it how you want it. You may also find something you like more by messing around with it, plus you will learn more about the material you are using if you are forced to mess with it.

# 17 26-04-2012 , 02:26 AM
thats what i am doing but now i am having this problem where the bump is only giving me a bump textured cloth pattern look instead of actually displacing the cloth pattern on the cylinder.
I dont know if its a stupid question but how do i fix this?

# 18 26-04-2012 , 03:43 AM
Super Moderator
Care to show a screenshot or even better post up the file with the rug? Also, the "bump" channel doesn't actually displace vertices or changes the model in any way, if you check the alpha channel you'll see.

- Genny
# 19 26-04-2012 , 03:57 AM
isnt that the whole point of the bump node? i thought the bump node displaces the texture when rendered. and yea, what kind of screenshot would you like to see?

Last edited by eneuman; 26-04-2012 at 04:00 AM.
# 20 26-04-2012 , 04:22 AM
Super Moderator
No, bump maps create the illusion, its quick and dirty, if you want to actually modify the model according to a texture then you'll have to look towards displacement maps which are, of course more expensive to render. Render your rug and show me what it looks like if you can't post the scene file. Off to bed for me.

- Genny
# 21 26-04-2012 , 04:30 AM
the artist said the following

"The rug is a simple cylinder with a smooth modifier to it, I UV mapped the cylinder while in low poly and once I added the smooth modifier to it, it gave me that nice crease in the texture. The shader is a simple 2D Ramp with a cloth texture for bump map."

Idk if he meant the 2d cloth node or a cloth texture he got online

and i dont mean displace the vertices, i just mean displace when rendered, not when viewing it on the viewport

Last edited by eneuman; 26-04-2012 at 04:41 AM.
# 22 26-04-2012 , 04:54 AM
He probably just used a texture he made from PS or picked up online. Also what I am getting from this is that, he mapped it specifically for the bump map, I believe he used the 2D Ramp shader with a radial option with the colors he wanted instead of plugging in a 2d file in the color under the material.

Not sure though, I think I have used the ramp shader once...maybe

# 23 26-04-2012 , 04:57 AM
yea he definately used the circular ramp for the colors but idk what he meant by cloth texture because i dont think he has any cloth fibers in there, i think its just the little button-like bumps/embroids. here is another image i found

user added image

# 24 26-04-2012 , 05:03 AM
I just saved the original to my desktop and took a closer look. Your just going to have to make a map for those bumps, your right that it doesnt have a fiber texture on it. Go into Photoshop and make the shape of the bump you want, from there just copy and paste until you fill the work area. Make sure when you bring it into maya its a grayscale image though or it isnt going to work.

But yes, a bump will only show up when rendered.

# 25 26-04-2012 , 05:06 AM
but for me its not even showing up when i render it. it shows the shadows but it doesnt displace anything.

and i dont have a clue of where to start making the bump haha

# 26 26-04-2012 , 01:33 PM
EduSciVis-er

# 27 26-04-2012 , 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
There's probably going to be a lot of back and forth until we can actually see what's happening.

- Genny
# 28 26-04-2012 , 02:16 PM
Ok i reviewed both tutorials and they look legit... But before i start on it, are you guys positive that the bump was not done using mayas 2d cloth texture node?

# 29 26-04-2012 , 02:25 PM
EduSciVis-er
They may have used the cloth procedural texture for the texture of the cloth, but there's no way it was used for the button things, which is where you're actually going to notice it. So yes, you will have to create your own bump map for those.
Honestly, at real scales, I don't see any reason to put a cloth texture as a bump, it's too tiny, especially for cartoon stuff.

# 30 26-04-2012 , 04:43 PM
Ok thank you! Now what i didnt understand is this... If i render it with the bump and the camera is looking at it exactly from the side, am i going to see those bumps or just the illusion of bumps? Again, im talking about when i render it.

(sorry for repeating so many questions, but im very new at texturing stuff)