Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 08-02-2003 , 10:51 AM

New to this board and Maya...

Hey everyone I'm new to Maya and 3d modelling in general. I am wondering whats the best way to get started? I already know the basics but I am at a loss how to learn to model the more complex stuff.

I like the video tutorials on the site, and I'll probably look into buying a few points. At least they are somewhat affordable... Unlike that other place that sells video/dvd tutorials. user added image

# 2 08-02-2003 , 02:52 PM
Subscriber
Yep points are like $1.65 in US dollars, so it's pretty good I think. If you already know the basics, I would recomend figuring out what you'd like to model, then find out stuff about it in the help menu. (F1) Kevin has a Simple Man tutorial, which is good for beginners who would like to learn how to model humans. Look into that as well. And as Ultragames would say, play, play, play with Maya. Create an object, do something with it, see what happens, undo the effect, try something else, etc, etc. Basic trail and error will take you places, mate.

# 3 08-02-2003 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber
***Correction***

Points in US dollars cost $2.32 if you buy five points only. If you buy 100 points, every point comes out to about $1.33. So, the more points you buy, the more money you save. And these prices are subject to change in exchange rate of course.

# 4 09-02-2003 , 06:27 AM
Welcome to the forum Elvithriel.

A few more suggestions...
Check out the Maya videos first to learn navigation... and watch the videos here on Simply Maya covering marking menus, poly split. extrude and simple dog. These are great videos to follow when new to Maya. Much more indepth. Plus these tools are the first and easiest to create models quick.

# 5 09-02-2003 , 06:37 AM
ur nickname?
is it elvish?

if elvish, then which branch?
sindarin? nolodorin?

# 6 09-02-2003 , 06:52 AM
Subscriber
hey Elvithriel, welcome! What i have been doing is just learning off of SM and the VIP tuts. I have only been here for around 2 weeks now and I sware, this is the best site ever. Buy the VIP points and you will learn SO much! Everyone here are amazing people who you just do not come across every day. They all are willing to help you to the best of their ability.. so ask questions user added image. I will help ya too if i can user added image. But yea, the free tutorials are awesome.. and the VIP tutorials are just sooo wonderful. Ok, cya

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 7 09-02-2003 , 07:48 AM
Welcome to the board mate! If you need any help just ask! There has to be someone here that has an answer... I hope! user added image Good luck!

May the force be with you...always!
A Jedi shall not know anger nor hatred nor Love
The only way to live a good life is to act upon your emotions
A warrior is reborn when he has something to protect
# 8 09-02-2003 , 08:57 AM
Subscriber
welcome aboard m8.... i say try to model low poly models... thats what according to me is important at that stage.... you will find all you need in the videos here... that will surely get you started..