Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-09-2012 , 05:53 PM

cores and threads

I know this question has been bandied about before but with my specific set up I’m looking for a definitive answer.

In Maya MentalRay I am using a MacPro 2 x 2.26 Quad-Core (a dual quad core), with 16MB RAM, running OS10.6.8. My image is a single frame 2D for print. The image size is 2592 x 750 ( I have rendered much larger) and the scene is fairly intense with lots of image maps, etc. As I said I have rendered much larger and equally complex but this render is cutting out at 30% or so.
I switched to Batch Render and set my threads to 16 and it worked.
So my first question is, is 16 the right number of threads?
My second question is why the render is quitting in the first place?
No other programs running.
Thanks for any responses.

# 2 13-09-2012 , 06:09 PM
The thin red line
The correct quantity is 2 treads per core so a quad should use 8, need more info for why its cutting out.............dave

# 3 13-09-2012 , 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Have you checked the error logs?

- Genny
# 4 13-09-2012 , 07:44 PM

rendering

right now it's plodding along on 8 threads. I'll check the error logs as soon as this render is complete. Afraid to touch anything right now.

# 5 13-09-2012 , 08:12 PM
The thin red line
Sorry lghtstrm your machine should handle 16 treads as its a dual core.....dave

# 6 14-09-2012 , 01:15 AM
Please post the render logs that will help to track down why you are crashing at 30%.

It's odd since 2010 most render issues are with batch render not render view. If I had to make a stab in the dark, and that is all it is, I would say it's a render cache issue. You might want to bring up the performance monitor (if you are running windows) and look at the memory use as it renders.

As for threads in both batch and render view options there is a section parallelism and in that section you can uncheck automatic and try typing in the number of threads manually (In your case 16). Keep in mind, unless they have changed it, if you do not have the stand alone mental ray renderer you are limited to 8 threads. It used to say that in the output window when the mr plugin loaded but now I do not see it, but I think there is still a limit unless you purchase the stand alone MR renderer.

Also, under memory you can uncheck auto memory limit and you can type in your own value. Their is a calculate button but that sometimes produces a value that is too large and so you also crash.

Finally, if you have mental-ray satellite running make sure it's configured properly or turn off render to network machines.

Best of luck,
-rick

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 14-09-2012 at 01:36 AM.
# 7 14-09-2012 , 04:20 AM
oh I see you running a macpro so just ignore the performance monitor bit above. The other parts are still pertinent.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 8 14-09-2012 , 12:02 PM
My MentalRay is a plug-in. Not sure whether that means it is stand-alone or not. On the Mac there is something called Activity Monitor, which I have been watching while batching and experimenting with various combinations of threads and auto memory. At 16 threads and auto memory I was looking at 70 minutes, at 8 threads and 9900GB memory I was at 50 minutes but I was getting dangerously close to running out. My next attempt (in batch) will be 12 threads at 8000GB.

As for the render window, it is still not playing nice (stopping at about 10%). In the little rendering progress window (just below the MEL scripting line) something like "MentalRay memory low. Aborting", appeared for just a few seconds and then the rendering stopped—but NO error message in the log. I decided to go for the settings listed above erring on the side of caution I went with 7000GB and hit the "redo previous render" button. No go.

Now I move over to the logs at /username/Library/Logs/Maya/mayaRender.log and there's nothing there. The last piece of log info is from yesterday. Now I'm really stumped.

# 9 14-09-2012 , 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
I doubt you have 9900GB of RAM or even 8000GB for that matter(I just noticed the 16MB typo in the original post). It just seems like you don't have enough RAM to have Maya running a heavy scene and trying to render said heavy scene in MR, it's reaching for resources you don't have and crashing. You could probably try different BSP settings if you're doing test renders within Maya.

- Genny
# 10 14-09-2012 , 12:42 PM
Sorry, I meant to say I have 16GB of RAM. Are you saying that's not enough?

# 11 14-09-2012 , 12:43 PM
Also, why isn't my render log keeping up to date?

# 12 14-09-2012 , 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Yes you have enough to batch out the scene. No you don't have enough to have the scene open and render it in the render view.

To your second question, I don't know, what is the verbosity level in your batch options message settings?

- Genny
# 13 14-09-2012 , 07:19 PM
I hear what you're saying, it's just that I've done larger and seemingly more complex stuff before and the renders never quit. As for the render log, it's set to Warning messages.

Thanks for all the feedback. Sometimes it can be difficult to get replies back to Mac questions.