Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-09-2012 , 08:42 PM
Subscriber

Animate>Ghost Selected Help

I am trying to ghost geometry that is rigged.

But I cannot see any before and after frames?

the most that has happened was the Geometry turned black, do to it going into a shading mode for some reason?

Or it only ghosted the controls and not the geometry..

Have tried the rig before any animation was stuck to it.. and to my current progress.. but it simply will not show..

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

maya 2012 x64

thx

# 2 18-09-2012 , 08:53 PM
The thin red line
I think you need to animate first then select key frame in the ghost setting thats if you used key frame?..............dave

# 3 18-09-2012 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
user added imageI don't know. I've seen how it works, and u can select it to show (#) before frames and (#) after frames.

It works just fine on a simply poly sphere unrigged.... but not on this geometry..

after I posted.. I got it working with a hidden proxymesh that's parented to the rig.. but it's a horrid low poly proxy..

I am under the impression you can ghost the geo that you're actually animating.. arghh nuts.

# 4 18-09-2012 , 09:19 PM
The thin red line
Ataraxy I dont think you can render ghost stuff its only there to see how a animation is moving, I think your rigged model is to complicated for it. What are you trying to do..............dave

# 5 18-09-2012 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
hey dave.. i understand.. but it's not for rendering purposes.. it supposed to show in the viewport. so you can see your previous pose, current pose, and (if u have it keyed) next pose.

Like in flash, "onion skin" is what "ghosting" is in maya.. or.. well.. supposed to be >.<

this is a image of what im talking about.

https://img.youtube.com/vi/FX1TfGF2ZkU/0.jpg

# 6 18-09-2012 , 09:33 PM
The thin red line
You might have to use a animation snapshot and do some clever stuff in post............dave

# 7 18-09-2012 , 10:20 PM
EduSciVis-er
Can you post a screenshot of your ghost options? What do you have checked under Object type? Do you have hierarchy enabled?

# 8 18-09-2012 , 10:29 PM
Subscriber
yup one sec

# 9 18-09-2012 , 10:33 PM
Subscriber
i tried it at default.. (reset settings)
I've had my mesh and nothing else selected..
If I select the joints or locators and all other types.. it other catches the controllers..

anything else.. the geo just becomes shaded black.

Attached Thumbnails