Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 05-10-2012 , 06:23 PM
Subscriber

Firebird/transam fender?

I'm modeling a 79 TA (trans am) and the front fender has me stumped. I have a 79 in my garage so you'd think I wouldn't have this issue..lol. The frt fender has an extrusion (bodyline) above the wheel well. I attached a pic of a "real one" and two snips of the fender I'm making. I'm after the bump out just above the wheel well. I've tried tried to pull edges, extrude faces, pull faces, and even making it out of a seperate plane and I just can't get it. Any ideas by chance? I just started it yesterday so I know it's a mess still.

When I grab faces or even edges I get a hardline on the ends of the pull, I don't want that. It has to be a smooth transition from the roll to the flat part of the fender. I'm reaching here but figured I'd ask..Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-10-2012 , 08:21 PM
I am sure if you asked a dozen people you'd get a dozen different work flows for this problem.

I myself like using nurbs to create the base surface and then redraw the correct polygon topology on top of it starting from the holes and places that require specific edge loops.

For instance in the image below I created a nurbs surface by lofting, you could also use the birail. Then making the surface live I started drawing the polygons for the edge loop around the opening in the fender. I'd then create a loop of polys around the wheel well and then fill in the polys between them.

As you can see I also created a surface for the fender flare which I could also build onto.

It's a tedious process but gives a nice result with clean surface continuity and proper edge flow.

There are more sophisticated tools in some modeling packages that allow you to literally draw the edge flow on to the base surface. Applications like blender, topogun, 3dcoat, and zbrush come to mind to help retopologize.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 05-10-2012 at 10:55 PM.
# 3 05-10-2012 , 09:07 PM
The thin red line
Heres another way I start with a cylinder then extrude a edge like Rick sad there are a number of ways to do this.............dave

PS I dont do cars

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 05-10-2012 at 09:57 PM.