Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-10-2012 , 10:34 PM

Jigsaw Sphere

I'm not sure if this is exactly the right place for my question, but here it is:

I'm creating a model for a client of a sphere made of jigsaw puzzle pieces. Several of the pieces will be missing, revealing a differently-textured sphere underneath. I've been messing with ways of accomplishing this without having to model the outer sphere directly, and I've achieved some good results so far with a combination of transparency maps and bump maps. The issue though, is that by using transparency maps to exclude the missing pieces from the outer sphere, the pieces have a very flat, two-dimensional look (like paper jigsaw pieces floating above the inner sphere). What I'd like to know is if any of you guys (or gals!) out there know an efficient way I can give them some thickness.

Thanks for the help!

# 2 05-10-2012 , 11:06 PM
why don't you use "shatter" or some dynamic effect like that, over a 3d sphere directly which will break it up into volumetric pieces........ just like a stone !!

# 3 05-10-2012 , 11:57 PM
Technical Director

why don't you use "shatter" or some dynamic effect like that, over a 3d sphere directly which will break it up into volumetric pieces........ just like a stone !!

Because that would give a shattered look, not a jigsaw.

You could try modeling the pieces flat, like a normal jigsaw puzzle. Say 40x20, or something like that, making sure that the pieces on the end of each row and column will interlock with the other end, if wrapped around. (See the ASCII picture below) Then select the entire puzzle, and use two nonlinear bend deformers to wrap it into a sphere. Adjust the poles if needed.

Example of interlocking pieces on rows:

._|..........._|
|_...........|_
...|.............|

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 06-10-2012 , 01:47 AM
Super Moderator
You can also try using a combination of the mia_material's cutout opacity attribute for the missing pieces and some displacement mapping to give it some real thickness.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 5 07-10-2012 , 04:44 PM
Fantastic feedback guys, thanks a million! GecT, that is exactly the effect I was looking for! Your inclusion of a test render really clinched it for me. I'll get crackin' immediately!

# 6 07-10-2012 , 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Glad it helped user added image

- Genny