Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-10-2012 , 03:53 AM

Cannot find Send to Softimage

Hey all,

When I click on file I dont see send image to softimage.

Do I need to install something to make this work? I have everything in maya default.

(I see now that softimage is another program needed. Is there anything else I can do to get my final from z-brush to maya?)

EDIT: Basically what I am trying to do is send an image that I took from maya to Z-Brush, now I am trying to put it back into maya. When I import the image.OBJ it just comes up blue (like its selected) but it dont show anything like it does with shaded on. Doing some searching I found you have to take it and send to softimage then it will come back to maya.

Heres what I read.

To add objects
Save the changes you made to the Maya scene.
In the Outliner, select the objects you added, then select File > Send to Softimage > Add to Current Scene.
Maya selects the objects previously sent Softimage before sending the scene. Softimage updates the effect with the new objects.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by xplicit; 17-10-2012 at 04:11 AM.
# 2 17-10-2012 , 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Wait what? Softimage is another 3d program thats quite similar to Maya(Autidesk bought them both) so I don't see why it would be needed in a Zbrush + Maya workflow. Plus you probably don't have the suite, so you don't have that menu option. Anyway, as far as I know, you export the obj to Z, sculp/paint/whatever, export a suitably dense mesh and texture maps, import the new obj into Maya, slap some materials on it and incorporate the maps into your shading tree.

Edit:

Or you could be using Maya 2011, I don't think it had that feature. Also, where did you get that info you quoted?

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 17-10-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
# 3 17-10-2012 , 03:34 PM
SM Tea Boy

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 17-10-2012 , 03:49 PM
I am using Maya 13 and I got the info from the link below.

Code:
https://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/maya2013/en_us/index.html?url=files/GUID-7A9B7D4D-0681-4756-885E-87616D60AC8F-1.htm,topicNumber=d30e508264
Well its funny, today its working good when I open it in a new scene.