Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 04-11-2012 , 07:56 PM
Subscriber

Learning Motion Builder?

I was intrested in learning Maya's Motion Builder program. What I need to know before I even try to learn Motion, is what do I need to know in Maya? For example, I think I need to know how to rig a character, or just rigging (joints) in general and animation in Maya as well, correct? From what I've seen in Motion Builder it looks like you change the rig anyhow but I need a base rig to bring into Motion, I think. So I'd be bringing a rigged character from Maya to Motion Builder. Whether that be IK, FK, or a mix, which I still need to learn.

So modeling a character, rigging, and animation in Maya is what I need to know before Motion Builder, correct? Eventualy I'd like to learn Motion Builder to animate characters because it seems Motion has a bit more freedom than Maya does, at least that's what I'm gathering.

Art is a jealous mistress.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 2 13-11-2012 , 05:16 AM
If you have 2012 and beyond the characterization tools are built into maya in the Animation -> Skeleton -> HumanIK tab. This is the same as motionbuilder does. You can then drive the animations through animation layers. You also have the ability to use a custom rig in 2013.