Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 24-03-2013 , 01:17 PM

GI and FG photon spot issues

Hey all, trying to render a realistic indoor scene with GI and FG enabled with Mental Ray and having a tough go of it. In this first image there is a glass light shade above the mirror that is semi-translucent and the photons emitted by the spotlight inside of it correctly bounce off of it and cast colored light on the wall and the ceiling, however the photons are "spotty" which they shouldn't be because the glass shade is a solid color.

I read this tutorial on GI and FG and had great results finally getting rid of the spots that the photons were creating on the walls but with the new settings the glass light shade is no longer illuminated and the photons no longer pick up that objects color and cast it on the wall or ceiling ;( Essentially setting the GI Radius to 16 and the Merge Distance to .8 gets rid of the spots, but this also removes the awesome illumination of the glass shade. Vice-versa I get the glass shade but the spots persist. I've tried every radius and merge distance in between and nothing seems to work.

How do I keep the illuminated glass light shade but still get rid of the spotty wall issue?

The three lights above the mirror are all maya spot lights with these same settings:
Cone Angle: 60
Penumbra Angle: 50
Dropoff: 40
Emit Photons: on
Photon Color: white
Photon Intensity: 1000
Exponent: 2.00
Global Illum Photons: 40000

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by strandedpirate; 24-03-2013 at 01:36 PM.
# 2 25-03-2013 , 03:15 PM
SM Tea Boy
Are you using a mental ray light, and a mental ray shader on the light shade?

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"