Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 31-05-2013 , 09:46 PM

Uniform Stretching of Texture on Polygon Plane

I'm doing a very simple test of mapping a texture to a polygon plane. When I use the UV Texture Editor to move a single UV point I was expecting to have uniform texture stretching across the polygon plane. Instead I get an unusual result where the UVs seem to be clamped along a diagonal line and stretching only occurs on one half of the plane (please see attached image). Can anyone try this and see if you get the same result? Is there a way to tell Maya to stretch the texture uniformly?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by rockfed; 31-05-2013 at 11:30 PM.
# 2 03-06-2013 , 10:12 AM
Can anyone shed some light on this?

# 3 03-06-2013 , 12:17 PM
EduSciVis-er
I do get similar patterns, and I think that's just how the texture calculation works, but I have to admit that I don't know why

# 4 03-06-2013 , 03:59 PM
Lifetime Member
It is all about the actual triangles used by the render engine. Go to the mesh component display and enable "Display Triangles" and you'll see only the one triangle is deformed. If you move the bottom right UV then both triangles are deformed. The deformation will be "smoother" and more even if you increase the number of triangles. When you hit 3 to "smooth" the mesh you are adding additional subdivisions hence increasing the number of triangles.

With triangle display enabled hit 3 and then play around with the subdivision levels under "Smooth Mesh" as well as the Smooth Mesh->Extra Controls->Map Borders attributes.

Attached Thumbnails

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 5 05-06-2013 , 09:21 PM
Thanks for your insights PixalZA. That was really helpful.