Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 26-06-2013 , 12:22 PM

Unused Shortcut Keys

Hi, I'm looking for a list of unused keyboard keys to assign as shortcuts, every time I query a key it seems to already be assigned to something.

Cutrently im trying to assign shortcuts to:
(if any of them already have shortcuts please let me know. I would also be interested in what you have used as shotrcuts for these keys.)

Merge vertacies
Insert Loopcut
Extrude

Currently I have not been useing Maya long enough to know all the shortcuts I will need to asign as im new to the software so if you know any keys that I might also need that dont have pre-defined shortcuts please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Also just to tie in another question, has Maya got a copy location/scale/rotation tool to make it easier when overlaping meshes for bakeing?

Please give your surgestions on what shortcuts you use and what you think will work for me, thanks.

# 2 26-06-2013 , 03:13 PM
EduSciVis-er
Use marking menus... you can make your own or use the existing ones. Shift + RMB + swipe down is extrude. Very handy. Shift + RMB + Up has a couple options for merge vertices and Shift + RMB + Down/Left is Insert Edge loop when in object mode. You can watch my tuts on marking menus here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...MFeIkJc58OChNN

If you really want hotkeys, most of the regular buttons are taken, but you can usually find ctrl+shift+key. Semi-colon is free.

# 3 26-06-2013 , 03:21 PM
EduSciVis-er
For your other question, yes, there is a handy trick that I recently learned. First select all the objects you want the values copied TO, and finally shift select the object you want the values copied FROM, so that the right numbers show up in the channel box. Then select a channel, say translate x, and just hit tab. The value will be copied to all the other objects. It will also advance you to the next channel, so you can tab your way through all the transforms. Very neat.

If you select more than one channel, the first value will be applied to all the other channels, which probably isn't what you want.

# 4 26-06-2013 , 04:02 PM
Thanks. That helps alot.

# 5 26-06-2013 , 04:31 PM
Subscriber
I like to set up ctrl+p for centre pivot.

# 6 26-06-2013 , 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
Actually, Maya does tell you what keys are free. In the Hotkey Editor, hit the "List All" button and you'll see the "Unmapped" column on the right.

Personally, I've gone in and scripted custom marking menus, I know there's a marking menu editor as Stwert mentioned, but I find I have more freedom this way. Definitely check out the marking menu editor though. Or maybe you'd be more into custom shelves.

- Genny