Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-10-2013 , 07:36 PM
Subscriber

Low Poly Illustration in Maya?

Hi there. I want to learn some of the techniques that go into Low Poly illustrations like Tim Reynolds does. All the articles/tuts I've found use C4D. Does anyone do work like this in Maya, and is there a tutorial or guide out there somewhere? I'm stumped on how he does the lighting in particular.

Thanks.

EDIT // After digging around the forums, I found a tip that helps: uncheck "smooth shading" in the Render Stats for the object you're lighting. That is helpful, but a detailed tutorial would still be great if somebody has one.

Last edited by tiptopolive; 13-10-2013 at 07:43 PM.
# 2 13-10-2013 , 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Looking at some of the images, there seems to be a single light and heavy ambient occlusion(lot's of tuts around on that). Whether he color corrected the image or used colored ambient occlusion right in the 3D package I don't know. And you can get an isometric camera simply by having a persp camera and checking on "Orthographic" in the shape tab.

Another poster had a similar question about the low poly look and posted how they went about it in Maya.

- Genny