Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-01-2014 , 08:42 PM
Subscriber

cutting out a rectangle with rounded edges from a plane

hello all,

I've managed to do what I needed by using smooth, turning the cut out rectangle into one with rounded corners, as shown in the screenshot below, but the geometry doesn't really need smoothed, and I know there must be a better way to do this without resorting to using it

I've been watching tutorials on cutting out a circle from a plane, but for some reason get brain freeze when trying to cut out a round-edged rectangle,

if anyone has any suggestions to help melt my brain freeze I'd be really grateful,

thanks
Nicky

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 17-01-2014 , 09:45 PM
use bevel with multiple divisions on the edge loops in the corners.

# 3 17-01-2014 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
hey mickhah, thanks, just tried that suggestion - how do i stop it from beveling the outer edge?

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 17-01-2014 , 10:37 PM
you can just delete those faces, use fill hole function and then add some edges, if needed.

# 5 18-01-2014 , 01:04 PM
Subscriber
got it now, had to delete that weird outer face then re-arrange the outside verts back into a rectangle - thank you!

Attached Thumbnails