Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-03-2014 , 12:57 PM

Character Modeling Question

Hey!

I just started learning modeling Characters in Maya. So i modeled one side of the Character and duplicate special the other side as an Instance. My Question is, i think, very simple but i couldn't find the Answer at other existing Forum Threads. It is: What's the best way to connect the two sides?
I tried 'Combine' but when i do that there's (of course) still space between them. So i tried to connect the vectors and merge them, but that's not really possible because the other side is an instance. So how do i connect them?

Thank you very much!

Lukas

# 2 04-03-2014 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
Once you're done modeling the character and you want it to be one piece of geo... the way I like to do it is merge verts. Go to the front view and choose faces. Select the faces on one half of the model and delete them. Then duplicate it under "parent". Make sure your tolerance in the merge verts option box is very low (about.001), choose all the ones down the middle in the front view and deselect the ones around the lips or other areas where they may be really close together. Hit merge and then go back in and do the lip area and any other are you deselected earlier manually.

Sampson

Last edited by sampson01; 04-03-2014 at 04:57 PM.
# 3 11-03-2014 , 09:31 AM
If you have the pivot of your object in the middle of the grid (to change position of the pivot press insert and to snap it to the middle hold X) and do a duplicate special with minus on the X, then once you have combined your 2 meshes together, you select all the middle faces and use the merge tool, with the threshold of 0,0001 so that the vertexes dont snap to any other vertexes that are not supposed to be together.

ba'aar

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 4 25-03-2014 , 06:53 PM
Hey Thanks for the Answer, but i'd like to know how to merge and connect vertexes from an object to its instance? Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Lukas

# 5 25-03-2014 , 09:20 PM
Oh, fallacy from me! Thank you guys, sorry!