Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-11-2014 , 04:08 PM

How to lower poly count and can I delete edge loops?

Hi, so I was wondering how to lower my poly count. I was creating a helicopter and I need the edges and vertices in the front because it is a lot wider, but since it pinches at the back all the vertices become so close together. It is like the back is a high resolution model. I could manually go in and delete the edge loops and vertices leaving the center of the helicopter not completely linking up but I don't know is this good typology? Want to know your techniques guys!
Thanks

# 2 06-11-2014 , 10:07 PM
The thin red line
Could you show what you have so we can suggest a better way.............dave

# 3 07-11-2014 , 03:08 AM
I think what you mean is that you needed to create extra geometry for all the detail in the cabin by splitting polygons and inserting edge loops and such, and all that created uneccessary geometry in the tail?
If so...What I would do if I could get away with it, is to make the tail boom separately, so it doesn't get a load of extra geometry in it from working on the cockpit. Or..there are a bunch of tricks you can use to create extra geometry only where you need it. For example, extruding a face creates 5 new faces and 4 new verts without sending edges flying all over the place. If your helicopter looks like one flowing shape, you probably want to model the whole fuselage at once. But if the real life helicopter you're trying to copy has a tail boom that looks stuck-on, then you can do it separately easily enough.
OR, you can delete the extra edges and verts in the tail, and then you need to re-route some stuff so you don't end up with faces that have 5 or more sides.
I think being able to create extra geometry where you need it and only where you need it is one of the most important things to learn. It's not hard to do, but it IS hard to explain without pictures.
But, if you mean edge-loops that go around the tail boom's circumference...sure. Delete. If the booms taper is constant, it won't make any difference if you delete them.

Last edited by xgabrielx; 07-11-2014 at 03:11 AM.
# 4 24-11-2014 , 06:54 PM
Thanks, that helped. I ended up extracting it and working on it separately user added image Thanks for the advice!

# 5 24-11-2014 , 07:08 PM
I have 2 issues when I have used skin bind with my character. First, when I rotate the character hands to see how the skin moves, I keep getting these long thin purple lines, like 20 of them, all merging down to the feet or the center of the grid. And also when I select my mesh and go into the paint skin weights tool the object doesn't appear on the list....the place where all the joints appear.....it's just a blank box. My character is not greyed out like the tutorial and my tool appears to have a red circle with a "X" through it. It would greatly help if you guys know what I might be doing wrong. Thanks

# 6 24-11-2014 , 11:47 PM
You might want to start a new thread to ask that question. You'd get more replies. I have no idea about rigging and painting skin weights. I've never done it.