Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 01-02-2015 , 01:16 AM

How to make 2D flat textures always facing view but size depending on distance from o

user added image

This is the style of effect I'm trying to get:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmeWKhW_TSY
pink bobomb in the beginning and then bigbobomb at 0:26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhnAr02ClsE

Sir Kibble, N-Z, bronto burt, basically every ball shaped part of an enemy uses it.

user added image
user added image
user added image

the textures always face the camera view giving the illusion of a 3D ball, but the textures are flat images, and you can add actual 3D objects to it like legs or a hat and mouth.
I have tried applying a texture to a polygon sphere or a plane with create as projection and setting perspective but the texture stays exactly the same size regardless of how far away or close to the object you are. They have to stick to the size of the object they are on so if you zoom out they look like they are in the distance. Also I tried using image-plane as a texture of the object instead but it didn't even show up at all. Maybe I'm missing something but I couldn't find anything in the tutorials for this effect, though I don't know the proper name of it.
Is this even possible to do in Maya? if not, do other programs do this like 3DsMax? btw It's intended for a game.

Please help, everything is appreciated, sorry if this is such a noob question.

Last edited by kaneo; 01-02-2015 at 01:19 AM. Reason: mistakes
# 2 01-02-2015 , 09:05 PM
The thin red line
In the dynamics menu go to particles and select the particle tool to make 1 partical, with the particle selected go to the sprite wizard, just follow the steps from there to use a image or sequence of images....................dave

Edit:I did wonder where to scale it from its under particle shape, render attributes, sprite scale X and Y

Last edited by daverave; 01-02-2015 at 09:29 PM.
# 3 03-02-2015 , 04:06 AM
WOW, seems so obvious and easy I can't believe it. thank you very much!!!!