Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-07-2015 , 03:43 PM

Best way to attach spikes to skinned cactus character?

I'll bet this is a super simple fix, but I'm a newbie, so bear with me! I'm animating a cactus character with spikes all over her body, and trying to figure out the best way to attach them so they deform correctly (or more accurately, DON'T deform, just follow the body) with movement. I duplicated the model and tried a few ways, and none of them seem to be working. As soon as I skin the character and move it, this is what happens. The spikes seem to have weights attached to the arm tip that pull them away from the body, and I can't seem to adjust them:
user added image
I've tried 1)parenting the spikes group to the body and skinning all together
2) skinning the body and the spikes separately
3) skinning the body first, then parenting the spikes

Using the paint weights tool doesn't seem to be working on the spikes (maybe they're too small to paint?), and the component editor isn't working the way it has on other projects. I remember using it to input vertex values and zero them out in other areas before, but when I select the spikes and open the editor, I just see this, no values to adjust:
user added image
Is there a better way to do this? What am I missing?

# 2 17-07-2015 , 09:39 PM
The thin red line
Try combining all the spikes then use the wrap deformer to parent to the mesh..............dave