SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

Home / forum / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / parent's rotation axis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Thread

Old 13-05-2003, 05:27 AM   #1
heddiw

Default parent's rotation axis

i try 2 ask it another way

maybe i've missed something, but i cant figure it out:
-i have a rolling cube, rotated around axisX and transformed along axisY using expression - on separated parent level. so, i've made a clip as cube rolls along axisZ. if i make a turn on the top level parent around axisY, the cubeshape turns, but adding the same clip 2 the timeline again moves the cube along world axisX, as the top level's parent is the world, i guess. if i add a parent to the current top level, than it rotates around its local axis, which means the moved cube rotates using the distance from the parent as a radius., of course.

so, is there any way, 2 make tx/tz to act as a local transformation and ty rotate around its own local axis?

thx

/h
heddiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2003, 04:28 PM   #2
Alan

maybe try changing the rotation /translation to object space by double clicking on the tool on the left hand side of the window and selecting "object".

hope that helps

Alan

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2003, 03:58 AM   #3
heddiw

thx anyway. but:

hmmm, ok, maybe i wasnt clear,
i know, i can set move tool 2 move along object's axis, but if i set up a clip 4 1 cube-roll, the clip itself contains the moving axis, which wont change, if i rotate the cube, coz tx/tz/ty r always parents axis, in this case, world's axis.. i dont want
2 make clips 4 all possible direction. that would be a pain and a shame..

so i need a parent 4 the cube, but there comes the previous problem with rotation after move.

or, how can i force maya other than adding a dummy parent 2 move an object along its local axis like using channel's tx/tz/ty..

thx...
heddiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
asdf6934

Hi,similar problem to me about rotation axis.There`s a cube in the persp view. when the cube began to rock,I would like the cube to imitate some stupid action. I wish the cube to sway while it rolls ahead,however,I find the axis is on the top of the cub. I would like the cube to sway with its botton on the ground.I display the rotation axis of the cube from the channel control and change the rotation axis number in segment of the timeline and set key .play again and find the previous animation in chaos.What is the best way to alter the rotation axis without breaking the whole animation ?
asdf6934 is offline   Reply With Quote
New Thread