Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 11-06-2003 , 04:30 PM
Since Ive not shown and wireframe shots yet I thought Id take the oppitunity while Im in screencapping mode to post a few.

I think component shots are better, as the whole thing in wireframe is too confusing, its a blob of blue lines.

https://furryclan.net/members/icarus_uk/prop_wire.jpgThe prop blades and their construction curves

https://furryclan.net/members/icarus_..._cage_wire.jpgThe cage protecting the vertical propellor

https://furryclan.net/members/icarus_uk/body_wire.jpg
The main body thus far, note it still hasnt got a front

https://furryclan.net/members/icarus_uk/turbine_wire.jpgRear right turbine, left one not shown.

Last edited by [icarus_uk]; 11-06-2003 at 04:33 PM.
# 17 12-06-2003 , 01:24 AM
Subscriber
Nice wires!

How is it going to be steered and controlled?

# 18 12-06-2003 , 06:43 PM
Well Im working on bow thrusters to provide lateral movement. For the non boat initiated, they are just nozzles that point to the side that push pressurised water out to the sides. Moments and turning effect cause the craft to turn.

On to a more n00b point. How do I make screw thread? Im trying to model the head of this bolt (the top will stick out above the nut slightly) and Im trying to get a screw thread on it. Any ideas? Ive tried splitting a poly cylinder and scaling, but that gives uneven results (from my less than accurate splitting), and Ive tried extruding a ridge around a curve thats on the surface of cylinder... Both havent given me satisfactory results, Im wordering if anyone out there has any better solutions.

# 19 30-06-2003 , 11:50 AM
Well I didnt get any "encouragment" from Vector so Im feeling a little left out user added image But fear not, Witchy has been annoying me every day, serves me right being to nice to him :p

But I still am working, slowly. Turns out that I dont have alot of maya time, what with all the sleeping. With any luck, and working for the next 11 hours non stop, I should have somthing to show for a final render, it may not be eXtreme, but it will be shoe box like.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by [icarus_uk]; 30-06-2003 at 12:03 PM.
# 20 30-06-2003 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber
Lol sorry Ic man, i missed this one when i was cracking da whip. But obviously you don't need me, why did you take so long to update?? Any luck on the bow thrusters? If you're gonna have a large glass front, i think a little cockpit detail would be in order too.

I really like what you have, and you always give me great input on the tank, I just wish you had more here!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 21 30-06-2003 , 07:57 PM
Hehehe no worries, Witchy does enough whip cracking for one man to take.

As for updates, Ive taken pictures and will gladly post them. For the most part I just take quick screencaps and let Witchy cast his eye over them and say they suck. I'll hunt out them and see about posting them up here.

Id love to put some cockpit detail in there, but due to lack of time I think its going to be put on the list of "things to do if theres still time", which is now getting fairly long. Ive still to add in the mountings for my robotic arms.

If nothing else, I learnt how to make some really nice looking propellor blades user added image

# 22 30-06-2003 , 08:00 PM
of the bow thrusters. They are already mounted into the side of the sub, but in the above picture the spotlight kind of hides it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 30-06-2003 , 09:38 PM
Subscriber
great, thanx for posting that. Don't forget how much we loooove progress pics here at AM CHALLENGE FORUM, so yah dig up the ones you're less ashamed of (damn you witchy for killing

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 24 01-07-2003 , 12:53 AM
Subscriber
You might want to look up the word sarcasm Vector- we English enjoy it.

Nice work Ickster you big slowcoach!

# 25 01-07-2003 , 02:30 AM
Well, I fought with rendering for a good hour or 3, and still havent got 100 % results. I could sit all day tweaking textures, and that darn light fog is going to be the death of me one day. Call this one an exceptional learning experiance.

Final Render

[icarus_uk]'s eXtreme yellow submarine user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 01-07-2003 , 02:33 AM
Subscriber
Shineth!

# 27 01-07-2003 , 04:04 AM
Very nice. You got me beat on this one i think.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 28 01-07-2003 , 02:34 PM
Kevin
nice work [icarus_uk] ! some great entrees in the noob area this time round