Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 09-12-2003 , 09:55 PM
Subscriber

I needed a Dogg and found Kevin's tutorial

Greetings,
I have to "Do the dogg" if possible in 6 days, it's for my website - (Big shout out to - Niobe - for doing my site !!)
And I need to supply the Dog ... I remembered that I had a freebie SMaya Tutorial somewhere that was too hard for me last time, so I dusted Kevin's "simple dog" 1&2 out...and started this afternoon - with a bit of tweaking and splitting I got to this....

I need some Crits...please... OK the tail is kinda square - but the rest? Proportons etc... I have to do it quick .. The Make/Model of dog? well I had a piccy of a beagle that I was working off but I suspect it was a "heinz 57 variety's dog" - which is really my goal
A "Scraggy Dogg"
Also it's going to have to be "Space" themed (so far anyway - we will see)

It needs work but am unsure how to add features like the nose etc? Is it the Crease tool?
[EDIT] - Aha ! I just remembered thos cool little "Tool" tutorials on the Alias 101 part of the site... will go look user added image user added image
Please still help though ! user added image

Regards Scraggy user added image

Attached Images

Last edited by Scraggy_dog; 09-12-2003 at 10:00 PM.
# 2 10-12-2003 , 02:20 PM
Subscriber
an anyone tell me how to go about doing the 'eyes'? do I make them separate or split/extrude - any thoughts which would be best? - Ohh yes and the paws? - any ideas?

Regards Scraggy

# 3 10-12-2003 , 06:57 PM
Subscriber

Struggling here....

Hi,
Have spent all afternoon on trying to model the dog's paws and I am not happy with any result....

I tried plitting into 4 "toes" and extruding - and have tried a basic triangular shape... None seem satisfactory... Anyone know how it should be done?

Oh yeas the "eyes" aswell. do I make em seperate?

Here's some newer pics ..... Scraggy

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 10-12-2003 , 06:59 PM
Subscriber

Close up face.

Closer shot of ears nose - and hopefully soon - eyes.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 10-12-2003 , 07:04 PM
Subscriber
for the toes I would split the toe area into seperate sections then do a poly extrude on the faces. turn off keep faces together

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 6 10-12-2003 , 09:10 PM
Subscriber
Scraggy,

I know your in a hurry so I thought I would just show you what I mean.

First off. Its a great dog! Good and fast. Its not overly heavy with the control geo either for the subD's

ok personal preference hear, on the side of the mouth I would bring that out a little where I have the green arrows. Just looks a little to boxy to me.. but thin I don't have a dog around to look. The ears, up at the top maybe bring out the middle of the ear flap some to make more impression that there is a hole to hear with under there.. Neck. I just think it would be better if that thickened part, probably where a tendon is, was not as pronounced.

Nose, along the green lines.. or about there. I just drew a ruff guide. Split the polys.. have 3 edges running along with the green line rather close. After you have that all the way around.. take the vertex’s of the middle line and scale them in to the body more.. that will make your indent where the nose meats the body.. if you don't like how well the crease forms.. you can always harden the crease in the subD menu.

Eyes. I would make the eye ball a separate sphere. I never have gotten anything to look right with out that sphere. Personally. Just start adding some edges.. and split the vertex along the red. separate them. Put the sphere back there. and it will help you start to work on the look of the eye..

PS.. you model it how you want, I responded in this way not to tell you what to do, just to make it clear what I was meaning because I know you need a dog in 6 days.. and you probably don't have time for being confused buy what someone means..

beat me with a club if I come off weird..

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 10-12-2003 , 09:38 PM
Subscriber
Thanks 3djoe - Am working on that at the moment - it's a bit tricky but is coming on is'h user added image

Pony, Thanks, will take your points and carry on now I have a clue how to continue. user added image

Cheers Scraggy

# 8 11-12-2003 , 04:06 PM
Subscriber

Paw problems.

Hi,
Have thickened chest area out so that tendons aren't too defined and made some more tweaks - but am really struggling to get a decent shape for the "Paw" ..

I have posted a couple of pic's in the hope that someone can help me define a decent shape, I have been looking on Google for Paws but cannot find what i'm after - I didn't realize paws vary so much from breed to breed..! user added image

Pity there isn't a site like Suurland for Dogs user added image

Regards Scraggy

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 11-12-2003 , 04:54 PM
how about heading down to your local library and checking out what they have down there? I think from what you have above you should lengthen out the paws a bit at the moment there is no way that dog could support it's own weight without falling over user added image Shame I'm not at home I could have taken photos of my dogs paws for you! Why not ask kev(nicely!) to take a photo of his dog's paws?

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 10 11-12-2003 , 05:56 PM
Subscriber

Paw Problem

Yes Thanks Pure_Morning, I was in kind of a rush to get it finished - I was so impressed with the quick start I made I mistakenly thought I had done the most part of the work already - heheh - that was Pre-Paw !!!!
Anyway as I reckon it's the best thing I have seen by me user added image - I will spend as much time as I can on it... I'm kinda proud of it so far.
I have a dog but it's not right for this model, (Too darn hairy)I reckon a "Beagle of Labrador" paw would be best, yes just like Kevin's user added image
I have just managed to lose my Last 2Hrs work (Including the front paw)- So am going to switch off and take a break awhile - If I don't get anything off Google after that I may just P.M. Kevin...

Oh yes - I was just trying to have a play round with "Full and Partial" creases - But kept getting errors? I was selecting edges but it kepot erroring something about mesh selection? any ideas? I will write fault down properly if it doesn't work later and re-post.

Thanks Scraggy

# 11 11-12-2003 , 07:21 PM
Subscriber

A bit better....

Wow, am finding this really hard - I have tried more of a "puppy's" Half round type paw - or a Big Dog's one - will tweak some more and see how it goes ....

Please give me comments on how to get the shape better please... user added image
Regards Scraggy

Attached Images
# 12 14-12-2003 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber
Oh noooo - It looks awful!!!!!!!!! Help !!!

Calling all "Dog" lovers !!!! please grip your dog firmly, inspect it's feet - draw em - and send me the piccy's user added image

Scraggy

No Poodle's feet please - I already have one and it's useless user added image

# 13 14-12-2003 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
LOL poodles useless feet..

# 14 14-12-2003 , 11:03 PM
Subscriber
It's true! I dragged the poor mutt up here to model it's feet but they are "completely" wrong... - bloody useless poodle. user added image
Hehe maybe I should scale my model down and look for a paint fx or Fur plugin 'afro' for it's head and tail do the dar'n poodle ! ... Hmmmm ... no

Reminder to self : Must get more of those cigarettes user added image

Ok I must better that last sad excuse for a paw - lol - looks like a bent medieval club ... nope not even that good.