Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 11-09-2012 , 02:19 AM

Individual faces change color based on position/orientation from camera?

I guess this is the right category to post this question:

How would one take a polygon with all quads (I'm using a whirlpool-shaped funnel), and make each individual face render with a procedural solid color, to be assigned based on each face's relative distance or orientation to the camera?

I hope that's clear enough. I don't have much knowledge with expressions, MEL, or anything involving syntax, but I have a feeling it can be done somehow.

The result of this would presumably be, with a hi-res mesh, a smooth gradation of colors that change when seen through a moving camera, kind of the same coloration that you would see from a normal map - but dynamic.

Anyone have an idea how to do this?

# 2 11-09-2012 , 04:24 AM
EduSciVis-er
Does it have to be on a face by face basis? You can do stuff like this with the facing angle node... can't remember if it's its own hypershade node or if it's something like a surface info node. Give those a google.

# 3 11-09-2012 , 06:52 AM
@stwert:

I took your advice and found a pretty good suggestion here: https://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...based-on-angle

(quote from the site)
"I'll describe the flow of nodes to the final Material: SamplerInfo Node (FacingRatio attr) > Ramp (Vcoord) Ramp (outColour) > Blinn (Colour) or surface shader (outcolour) if you don't want light to be a part of the result."

It's actually pretty simple to set up a quickie material that does this, but I'll need to spend some time seeing how much control it'll give me. Thanks for the suggestion, stwert!

# 4 11-09-2012 , 12:10 PM
EduSciVis-er
SamplerInfo node... that's the one. Getting precise control is all about adding nodes to nodes to nodes. Experiment with connecting stuff in different ways after you've got a basic color change based on camera angle.

# 5 11-09-2012 , 04:05 PM
ramp shader and setting color input to facing angle works pretty well

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675