Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 20-11-2009 , 12:38 PM
Subscriber
That crucial scan is handy. Thanks Gster. Ive taken a picture of the results. I hope the information is clear, the file size of the image was big so I had to knock it down to a level 6 JPEG.

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 20-11-2009 , 12:38 PM
You change the prefs to allow it to use more memory and subdivide the mesh more, I can get to about 20-30 million per mesh off the top of my ehad, think thats the limit I've got to.

Also use sub tools to get more polys etc.

But yeah I thnk Z's only 32 bit. was hoping that they might bring a 64 bit version out but dunno.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 18 20-11-2009 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber
I thought I had tried to increase the settings in the mem. Its under preferences>mem yeah? Do you need to save the settings somehow or will they stay set once you alter them? Which settings would you recommend changing?

Also I was wondering that. If you have a model of 8 million polys and cant subdivide any further, are you better off having say 8 subtools of a million polys each?

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 20-11-2009 , 12:49 PM
Your max polys per mesh is only at 9.7mil probably why your getting the max at about 8.

Theres a thread at Zbrush central that goes over getting the best out of the PC.

From the memory scan it looks like your full up for the PC. Not too sure but in XP you used to have the "3gig switch" to imporve programme RAM usage, maybe its in vista too? I'm on 64 Vista on all my comps, which when you swith off all the crap is great.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle