Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 12-08-2011 , 04:50 PM

Mental Ray sss overall colour problem

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out on a problem I keep encountering in Maya, I am setting up the sss shading network for skin, and I am pluging in multiple layered textures for diffuse colour, epidermal, etc. So everything in the sub surface scattering menu is plugged in and works fine, however when I am ready to plug in my specular layerd texture into overall colour in specularity, for some reason Maya freezes. What is more odd, is that I just plugged in some random texture and it did not freeze. Even more strange, I duplicated a layered texture that was already plugged into the sss shader and plugged it into the overall colour option, and it worked fine, now when I changed the textures to the one I want, the face spec worked, but the body and limbs do not, this is the same for the primary specular colour.

Thanks

Last edited by Buster Sword; 12-08-2011 at 05:04 PM.
# 2 12-08-2011 , 08:25 PM
Technical Director
Are you using the same file format for the textures? Maya, and even more, Mental Ray, is picky about file formats. If you can, either save as a tga, or iff. Stay away from iff.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 13-08-2011 , 06:18 AM

Are you using the same file format for the textures? Maya, and even more, Mental Ray, is picky about file formats. If you can, either save as a tga, or iff. Stay away from iff.

Thank you for the quick response, I have saved all my textures as Jpegs, which were all running fine until I ran into the overall colour issue.

# 4 13-08-2011 , 11:13 AM
Targa's just make it crash, but I have run into another problem, I have the same layered texture network, and this time I'm loading in bump files, but when I load the texture I get this message '// Warning: Failed to open texture file C:/.../../.. // Error: Image conversion (to IFF) failed //'