Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-09-2011 , 06:24 AM

anywhere i can get a bunch of textures?

hello,
im working on a project and wondering if there was a way i could get a bunch of textures from somewhere because i use mudbox its quite simple to just put them on models
anyway thanks user added imageuser added image
edit: just remebered if someone could also help me out with materials to that would be useful thanks

Last edited by quantumarchi; 03-09-2011 at 06:27 AM.
# 2 03-09-2011 , 07:44 AM
The thin red line
Theres the resource lounge on this forum or google...........dave

# 3 03-09-2011 , 08:19 AM
yes i know i have google obviously and i have about 200 but im talking about just getting a few hundred or even thousand quickly with out having to click on each one and pressing download

# 4 03-09-2011 , 11:34 AM
Lifetime Member
Well when you find out where mate..let us know...otherwise you will have to resort to doing it the old way. Unless you have access to a complete library I doubt you will be able to download a thousand at a time.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 03-09-2011 , 12:45 PM
surely someone would of made a website where you can get a lot of textures

# 6 03-09-2011 , 01:19 PM
The Nurb Herd
textures of what? usually people would just get textures for things they need. What's the point in getting thousands of useless textures?

# 7 03-09-2011 , 02:06 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 04-09-2011 , 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
That's thing about that..

Good high res textures are quite valuable, bonus if they're tileable. So, finding them bundled by the hundreds or thousands for one click free and legit download isn't very likely, even if you have to pay, getting thousands at a time is also unlikely, assembling good textures is A LOT of work. Seeing how textures can range from general (wood, skies, tiles) to obscure(martian puppy paw prints?), libraries build up over time, I know I won't be looking for martian puppy paw prints unless I need them.

You can also check out Dosch and Arroway.

As far as materials go, you can try My MentalRay, but your best bet is to start cranking out a library of your own.

- Genny
# 9 04-09-2011 , 07:50 PM
Great community

# 10 04-09-2011 , 08:38 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Quantumarchi

ahhh....well the really good stuff you have to pay for generally, really you need to do pretty much like the other guys and gal have recommended to you. Pretty everyone involved in this type of work does exactly the same thing, theres no real shortcut.

Check out our resources forum theres plenty of links there that members have shared with us all. And can I ask you if you find something of use that will benefit the the members here as well, please be a good chap and post it in the resource lounge in the correct thread....many thanks for sharing in advance

Jay

# 11 07-09-2011 , 03:38 PM

https://mayazest.blogspot.com/
Production Tips and Tutorials!

Last edited by dre4mer; 07-09-2011 at 03:43 PM.
# 12 16-11-2011 , 11:00 PM

texture Library

I'll chime in...
When I was working on gathering up textures for my portfolio pieces, instead of searching "for the right one", i download a LOT of similar textures because sometimes I find if I overlay a few of the similar textures, I get a very nice result.

Over about a month period, I have gathered up about 5 GB worth of textures. Majority of them are rust, wood, and metal. All have pros and cons, and all are useful. Whether I'll be able to use my own library collection for jobs (as a texture/environmental artist), remains in question.

The DIFFICULT thing is to use the textures not knowing if it requires any "credits". I will say however, that if I find one that REQUIRES to credit the person that made them, I don't download it.

The other thing you can do is get out there with your camera and take pictures.

The 3DTotal Textures...O.M.G. I love it...but expensive for me (as a student).

So building up your own library is a lot of work and time to look around for textures. There are some best ones that are made from photographs off of photobucket.

Having said that - Since I have collected hundreds of different textures, I am finding that FINDING the texture in my library a little tedious. Can someone give me a real good list of folders and subfolders that can improve the way my library look?

Such as...Metal- subfolders will be rust, references, shiny, colored, galvanized. Would that make sense? Or should I just have every metal texture put in the metal folder and just look at the pictures?

https://deannabono.blogspot.com - My Portfolio Progress. Take a gander. Enjoy!
# 13 16-11-2011 , 11:19 PM
EduSciVis-er
The best way to organize your library (in my opinion) is to use something like Lightroom, where you can add keywords. It takes time to enter keywords for everything (metal, rust, scratches), but when you've got them, all you need is to do a search for it and you've got your selection. The other benefit is images can have overlapping categories. Just an idea.

If you're stuck on the folder hierarchy, check out https://cgtextures.com/

# 14 17-11-2011 , 12:36 PM
Senior Software Developer
Guys,

Try Autodesk's Area website, they provide hi res textures and Google is the other answer

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)