Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-10-2003 , 04:27 PM

Is Fur a hastle?

Hi...

Trying to render a character who's face has a fur attribute to it, with a density of some 40000. It takes a heck of a time to render, and so making changes is a real pain in the ass...

My question is: Is maya Fur worth the hastle. Renders sometimes crash among other anomolies...

When it does render, it looks good, but I cant help thinking that 15 + mins for a 640x480 image is taking the P a bit... Is fur really that expensive in terms of computing power? There isnt much on the web in the way of tutorials, so I am hoping someone here knows

CC

www.craigcrane.com
# 2 13-10-2003 , 04:39 PM
The Maya Mountain
The fur used on the main cat in the film Cats & Dogs took 40 hours per frame to render... I think you're ok. user added image

# 3 13-10-2003 , 04:45 PM
40 HOURS?

And there I was moaning about 15-20 mins...

So I guess it is expensive...

Im half way through a project of my own, and Im really starting to wish I had not used fur. I see that te 5.1 update fix's a few fur issues, so lets hope it does.

Any tips for better fur set up?

www.craigcrane.com
# 4 20-10-2003 , 07:09 PM
Fur and any other paint effects are processor intensive items. Maya should come with a warning:

Unless you have a super computer to use to render your images with paint effects, don't bother!

I, personally, haven't found a need for paint effects (yet). And even if I do, it will probably be done rendering one PE item at a time. So, is it a hassle? YES! But that's just IMHO.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu