Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 22-02-2005 , 03:29 PM

System Recommendations

The college where I work is starting to do some experimentation in developing virtual environments and we are looking to use Maya for developing graphics and learning objects.

I have looked through the Alias website and emailed their technical support but have only been able to find out about the minimum requirements and they are only able to state what works rather than what works best. I understand their statement and I was directed to this site for learning more.

That being said, what recommendations would you make for an ideal but practical system for running Maya Unlimited?

George

# 2 24-03-2005 , 02:26 AM
Subscriber

Did you find anything yet?

whippeteer,

I know this doesn't help. But I was wondering if you were able to find out a good answer -- here or somewhere else.

I plan to buy/build a new system for my son who is very interested in CG -- We want to be able to use Maya Unlimited and other 3d programs (Poser, Bryce, Daz Studio, etc.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

MaDuYang

# 3 24-03-2005 , 09:05 PM

# 4 28-03-2005 , 04:51 AM
In this case your budget is your limit. A good idea is to go to PC builders websites, like ALIENWARE.com, that let you customize your own PC. That way you can see what parts you want as well as what it will cost you to have them build it. Of course, building it on your own would be way cheaper, but then you don't get the tech suport and warranties.

Basically, the better the system the better Maya will run.

BTWmaduyang: Poser? Are you for real? user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 5 28-03-2005 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber

It's for a 9 year old

Dave,

Thanks for your advice.

As for using Poser: The system will mostly be for my 9 year old son. He is very interested in CG. He is also a very talented traditional artist. He now uses Bryce and Daz3d and Maya PLE. He plans to get Poser soon.

Do you have any better ideas for a 9 year-old to get started in the industry?

thanks so much!

MaDuYang

# 6 29-03-2005 , 07:36 AM
Ummmm... LEGO's? user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu