Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-08-2008 , 08:00 PM

"Mesh" > "Extract" not working

Hello. Using Maya 8.5 on a Precision 690. 2Gigs of RAM. OS is Windows XP Pro.

OK. An example of what I am trying to do is I have a torso with an arm. I want to separate the arm, so I select the faces of the arm.

Now, when I have selected the faces of the arm and click Mesh --> Extract, the tool separates all the individual faces selected not only from the larger poly mesh of the torso, but also from each other.

The arm is in effect "shattered" in to the individual faces. The tool wasn't doing this before, but now I can't figure out how to get it to extract the mesh the way I want it to.

Any advice?

Thank you, Tristan

# 2 03-08-2008 , 08:10 PM
Have a look in the tool settings theres an option.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 03-08-2008 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
this is probably your issue, go to Edit Mesh and click on the Keep Faces Together.
If it is enabled there will be a checkmark beside it.
If it is disabled when you extract, or extrude, you get many objects as opposed to solids containing several faces.

I hope that helps.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 4 03-08-2008 , 09:27 PM
Yep, you cracked it. Thank you very much.

Tristan