Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-10-2013 , 03:13 PM

Issue with displacement (Maya 2013)

Hi everyone,

I'm currently having an issue with displacement mapping in maya (see picture attached) :

https://imageshack.us/f/12/aqr4.jpg/

The problem is those lines that are showing in the shadows. They're appearing when i use displacement... I'm using a mia_material_x if that can be of any help.

Is it a well known issue ? I made a test where I've connected a cloth procedural texture to a sphere with a Lambert and the same thing happened... (another magnificent picture) :

https://imageshack.us/f/833/2pr0.jpg/

I obviously scavenged the internet but couldn't find the answer to my problem... If anyone can help me on this one, I would gladly appreciate. user added image

PS : The model is already smoothed and my displacement map is perfectly smooth.

++

# 2 15-10-2013 , 09:58 AM
SM Tea Boy
try a mental ray displacement approximation.

Window -> Rendering Editors -> Mentalray -> approximation editor

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 15-10-2013 , 01:59 PM
Hi everyone !

Thank you all for your concern and your help... It finally worked !

I got tired and confused in all this mess so I decided to create a new scene and it worked perfectly. I think the problem was regarding the normals of my object that I might have (by mistake) messed up...

Thank you all once again ! I guess the lesson here is : When you get yourself trapped... Re start from scratch... A little time spent for a lot of time saved.

++