Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 25-06-2011 , 06:27 PM

docking the hypershade

is there anyway of docking the hypershade, or adding it or favourite materials to the shelf or other area. It's tiresome having to wait for the window to open, then having it get in the way.
I know there's a layout configuration with the HS in it, but sometimes I don't want to alter the view I'm in. I just want to select an object or objects and drop a quick material on to aid visibility. there's right-click on the object too I know, but I find that a bit cumbersome as well...

# 2 25-06-2011 , 09:11 PM
Acid44
If you're using Maya 2011 you could try this (https://lesterbanks.com/2010/06/docker-for-maya-2011/), not sure if it would work with other versions or not, and haven't tried it myself, but it says it would work for hypershade.

This is from a part referring to scripting the tool I think:

"this will also work for the hypershade:

HypershadeWindow; dockControl -area “left” -content hyperShadePanel1 -label “Hypershade” -allowedArea “left” -allowedArea “right” -width 600; deleteUI “hyperShadePanel1Window” ;"

EDIT: I think that code may actually be a Maya script for it in itself, having read the bit in the link again, not sure though

Last edited by Acid44; 25-06-2011 at 09:15 PM.
# 3 26-06-2011 , 02:43 AM
Lifetime Member
cant you just make the HS a panel se7en?? I use mine but minimise and alter the size of the window so it is on top of Maya window....same with the render window...if this is what you mean?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 28-06-2011 , 11:39 AM
not quite getting you bullet - you mean the standard window, then minimise to the dock (i'm on osx) - - it's an idea, but I'm going to try acid's suggestion at the weekend; I'd prefer it within the interface if I can get it there.

# 5 28-06-2011 , 08:42 PM
EduSciVis-er
I don't see the difference between "docking" it, and having it as part of the layout, as you described in the first post. You can have any configuration of panels, as bullet was saying, there's just an example layout with the hypershade. If you have maya 2011 or 2012 I think, you can dock panels and pull them off, not sure exactly as I don't have it.

# 6 28-06-2011 , 09:08 PM
by docking I mean in the same area as say, the channel box and all that, or up on the shelf where i can add just the materials tab from the hypershade window.
'part of the layout' is where it takes up an actual viewport (replacing top, persp or whatever) so if you switch layouts it's gone
I already use 'docker' as recommended by acid, so that i have a permanent view of the outliner regardless of my viewport layout (as per the pic) without having it as a floating window getting in the way - I'm no good with scripts but if i can get the hypshd set up similar I'll be happy

Last edited by se7enhedd; 06-04-2012 at 10:18 AM.
# 7 28-06-2011 , 10:52 PM
Lifetime Member
ah got you...no I make mine a panel...or keep it as a seperate window and just minimise it when I need to...same as the render window...they are both just minimised...I dont bother to have it in my workspace really...and if I need to I would just make it a panel as I tend not to use all the viewports.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 28-06-2011 , 11:32 PM
EduSciVis-er
This isn't always an option, but a second monitor can be very handy for extra windows and editors.

# 9 29-06-2011 , 01:11 AM
I have a second monitor lying about - it's a very old connection tho (vga i think) - when I upgraded my graphics card I no longer had the necessary port. I daren't put the old card back in, in addition to the new one, in case I fry something =S

# 10 29-06-2011 , 01:48 AM
Lifetime Member
cant you just put it in the shelf mate? its not really much of a solution to me.....sorry wasted post

bullet1968

# 11 01-07-2011 , 10:14 AM
if there's a way of putting it on the shelf I would -- but i don't know how.

# 12 01-07-2011 , 10:51 AM
Lifetime Member
Add to Favorites
Home: Autodesk Maya Online Help

Create, rename, rearrange, or delete a shelf
Customize shelves
Edit the MEL or Python script associated with a shelf item

User Guide > General > Basics > Preferences and customization > Customize shelves >
Add a tool, action, or Maya script to a shelf

To add a tool to a shelf

1. Select the tool.
2. Drag the tool icon with from the Tool Box onto the shelf.

You can add multiple versions of the same tool with different settings to a shelf. For example, you can add a Sculpt Surfaces Tool with the Push option selected and another Sculpt Surfaces Tool with the Pull operation selected. This only works with tools, not regular menu items (actions).

To add a menu item (action) to a shelf

1. Click the shelf you want to add the menu item to.
2. Open the menu with the menu item you want to add.
3. Do one of the following:
* (Windows and Mac OS X) Hold + and click the menu item.
* (Linux) Hold + and click the menu item.

For example, you could modify the parameters of the NURBS sphere tool by selecting the option box and changing the settings in the NURBS sphere window. You can then save the tool settings as a shelf button by holding + and clicking the menu item. The shelf button is saved with the settings currently specified in the settings window.

To add a command or script to a shelf

1. In the Script Editor ( Window > General Editors > Script Editor), select the MEL or Python commands you want to add to the shelf.
2. Drag the selection with from the editor onto the shelf. You may be prompted as to whether you’re dragging Python or MEL commands to the shelf.

To add a panel layout to a shelf

1. Click the shelf you want to add the layout to.
2. In a panel, select Panels > Panel editor.
3. Click the Layouts tab.
4. Click the layout name, then click Add to Shelf.