Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-11-2012 , 03:50 PM

Animation problem - set keys change afterwards

Hi guys I wasnt sure where to ask, I am very much new to Maya and on a huge learning curve so this problem may be just me missing out something but i need help. im basically trying to get a lady to rotate her arms with an exercise bike which i modeled. The hand grips animation works perfect so i am now trying to get her hand/arms to move with it realistically. i am currently trying to animate her arm every 10ish frames (the rotation is 60frames) but something weird happens. every time i set the first key which is the starting position and then move on 10frames to make the next move, when i go back to view it, the arm is at a completely different place which i set it to. this also happens to the upcoming set keys too.

this is driving me crazy, does anybody know what i may be doing wrong or missing? any type of advice you could give me would be highly appreciated! user added image

thanks guys!

# 2 28-11-2012 , 05:26 PM
Technical Director
Hey Kelly,

It's hard to say without seeing the actual file. One thing that might make your life easier, is to constrain the hand controllers to the bike handles, therefore your hands would move with it; removing the mundane task of animating it by hand.

If you could post up the file, or PM me a place to download it, I'll take a look for you.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 28-11-2012 , 06:23 PM
I think I found the problem, if I set keys on the whole arm first, and then key the elbow it seems to have done the job.. I think I was overriding keys, or not setting the right keys on the right joints.. like moving an elbow only later would also affect the keys before it.. if you know what I mean!

Although I am very interested in like you say constrain the hand to the bike.. I was already wondering how an model could for example hold another model.. I am going to PM you with the file/project (I am about to put it on dropbox) and I highly appreciate your help!