Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-06-2003 , 11:49 PM

A mental ray exercise

I have been wanting to take a good look at Mental Ray since I got Maya 4.5, so this is a small exercise I did for myself. As an idea, I used an image in the magazine "3D World".
This is done only with caustics. I was trying to mix caustics and final gather, but after 2 and a half hours it was still crunching, so I stopped it. Maybe I'll launch it tonight and see what happens tomorrow morning...

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 2 08-06-2003 , 03:44 AM
I like it. When I try caustics i just get a bunch of white dots. I tried raising the photons but that just made more dots, but I dont know.

Yours looks good except that the orange looks too rough.

mahalo,

Myk

<a href="https://www.metic.net" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="_blank">www.metic.net</a><br />
# 3 08-06-2003 , 04:10 AM
What I did was look on the Internet for tutorials, then I wrote down step by step what to set and what difference it makes. It may sound silly, but I keep it next to the computer for reference.
You are right about the orange. Thanks for the comment!

Sy
# 4 09-06-2003 , 10:02 PM
Here is another render with final gathering and some change in the caustics parameters. I also changed the textures of the table and the orange to make them more realistic.

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 5 13-06-2003 , 12:50 AM
I have added some more reflections using HDRI. I think that looks better especially the spoon.

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 6 14-06-2003 , 08:47 PM
Is there nobody that wants to comment this?user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 7 15-06-2003 , 04:02 AM
I really do like now, but I dont't know if it is because of the image compression or because of the testilation, but the plate looks a little rough around the edges.
Also try softening the shadow.

mahalo,

Myk

<a href="https://www.metic.net" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="_blank">www.metic.net</a><br />
# 8 17-06-2003 , 05:03 AM
Here is a new version with softer shadows and global illumination. Strangely it keeps having this spotty appearance even though I the parameters, like number of photons, accuracy, etc, are very high, so high in fact, that half of the times I render it it crashes... I also set a higher anti-aliasing quality.
user added image

Sy
# 9 17-06-2003 , 08:55 AM
Subscriber
wow, now that's cool...

you did a very good improvement ... I really like it! Now make a table so they dont float in air... user added image (or you can composite it on a real picture.. it'll be tricky but it'll turn out good)

-Emo

# 10 17-06-2003 , 07:11 PM
Compositing one from a picture? Now that is a GOOD IDEA!!!
Don't you tink it is a little spotty, like right under the orange? Changing number of photos and accuracy doesn't seem to make any difference...

Sy
# 11 23-06-2003 , 05:59 AM
I have changed something, trying to refine it.

user added image

Sy
# 12 23-06-2003 , 01:09 PM
Subscriber
the glass plate is a bit too light in last render. it is too reflective and letting not enough light through. maybe highering the translucense helps - not sure though if mr supports that with photons.