Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 09-10-2003 , 08:05 PM
Yeah. this challenge is for animation, not modelling. You've got a pretty good start at building a house when all you really need is the wall. user added image

Plan your scene. And remember, only build what the camera is going to see. There's no way you're going to get through all those rooms in 10 seconds, so why build them?

Go with just what you plan to have in the shot. From the sound file, the only thing you really need is part of the hall, the door, and part of the room beyond it.

Pre-planning is everything. user added image

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 17 10-10-2003 , 03:29 PM
Subscriber
Just to explain a little ...... I have to be realistic about this project and face certain facts.

I have only just learned to model, and still know next to nothing about moelling NURBS. - When I accepted this challenge I realized that it would take more than 1 month for me to learn and then create a character, rig and animate it.
So basically my idea was to use camera movements for the most part to cut down time neeed to animate a character.

Ok So here's the idea - "Camera is looking through a person's eyes that is walking slowly upstairs" (Looking for source of creak)
scans around doors, then moving towards the one door slowly opening at the end of the hallway. - (If you look there is only 1 room modelled on the inside, this is the room where the character/thing will be - all the rest are not because, like you said they will not be viewed) I have walked through the 'scene' a few times (I live there user added image ) and it takes between 4-10 seconds to reach the door depending on speed of walk.
Thanks for your comments, although being so new to Maya I'm in this more for the learning aspect rather than worrying about finishing on time etc.

Regards Scraggy

# 18 10-10-2003 , 04:44 PM
The Maya Mountain
You can do that if you wish, but the challenge is character animation. If a character is not animated, it will not be considered at the end.

# 19 10-10-2003 , 05:03 PM
Subscriber
It will be, just not 15 seconds of character animation. user added image

IF I finish that is..... user added image Stuck at work for next 4 days so cannot do much except browse Forums during breaks user added image

# 20 17-10-2003 , 10:18 PM
Subscriber

Sobs....... and keeps fingers crossed....

Have lost Maya for last week... user added image , hopefully I will get it back tomorrow..... Agghhh (I've been like a Man without a cause!)
I kept myself busy with a freebie 1.1 Carrara, of a Magazine CD, nice, but not Maya... HOPE to do something soon...
Regards Scraggy

# 21 19-10-2003 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber

Models to PLE?

Hmmm maybe later in week (Thurs , Fri) I will get Maya back, Just want to ask, Is it possible to Import the models I have already done into Maya PLE? Because I may have to do that when I finish work so as to try and catch up. Just noticed I have a copy in the book I bought! user added image

Fingers Crossed Scraggy

# 22 19-10-2003 , 10:37 PM
Subscriber
If I remember correctly, Maya PLE doesn't allow import/export with regular Maya, but check it out to make sure.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 23 19-10-2003 , 10:42 PM
Can maya PLE export to obj or fxb or something like that which maya can import?

# 24 19-10-2003 , 11:06 PM
Subscriber
From the alias website:

"You cannot write standard Maya software files (.ma, .mb); only the Maya Personal Learning Edition file format (.mp) can be saved; however, you can import standard Maya software files. "

You should be fine then Scraggy, but you wont be able to move stuff back to regular Maya.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 25 20-10-2003 , 03:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanks guys :D

Oh yeah, I'm a dozy ***, I never thought about putting it back to regular user added image .... I'll have a go with PLE anyway.. It's driving me mad not being able to do anything except browse and find more bugs on Carrarra....
BTW
Thanks a lot for finding out for me, I've been at work and haven't had much spare time. I did notice Maya PLE 5.0 is out now so I will have a go with that, I assume the watermark is still there, but what the hell,, I have 5 days off work starting Wednesay but no Maya - nooooo!!!!!!!!

# 26 20-10-2003 , 09:56 PM
Subscriber

Tries to keep smilin!

Hmm do you have to turn Bumpmaps into greyscale?

Scraggy user added image

And please, what is the best way of doing it in Photoshop? :o

I can texture stuff, so will do that starting tomorrow.
I can always copy the same textures I suppose...It may not be too bad + I should be able to carry on with rigging etc.... Not soo bad ... user added image
Regards Scraggy

Last edited by Scraggy_Dogg; 20-10-2003 at 10:05 PM.
# 27 20-10-2003 , 11:22 PM
Subscriber

(Im a bit previous here)

Ooo Ooo ooo BTW (Hmmm dont forget the other questions above!) But Hmmm - I need to know how to "Animate someone"

a./ From the viewpoint of their eyes?
b./ Still same as above , also walking upstairs? [3-4 steps]
(Methinks I made things VERY hard for myself - But not gonna jack it in yet!)

Here's hoping? Scraggy

# 28 20-10-2003 , 11:37 PM
Subscriber
Hmm do you have to turn Bumpmaps into greyscale?

nope

And please, what is the best way of doing it in Photoshop?

image/mode/greyscale

animate From the viewpoint of their eyes?

you would animate the camera that would be around the position of the persons head.

(Methinks I made things VERY hard for myself - But not gonna jack it in yet!)

thats the attitude! you will be happiest if you push on through - this said by someone who wasnt able to finish his last challenge!

# 29 21-10-2003 , 10:10 PM
Subscriber

Ever Changing howardporter

Howard - Yeah the Comics are Great user added image lol and so is your 2D as well as 3D art! You inspire me ... user added image

I may even try and use those pencils I dropped as a failed artist all those years ago (28!!!!) [Now I'm Glad I don't have a scanner!]
And thanks for help.......

Regards Scraggy

# 30 21-10-2003 , 10:52 PM
Subscriber
I got a jpeg from when I was last on Maya.

Texturing the main room (I really need to lean more MUCH more texturing!) .... just thought i'd post as I have nothing else to show. (Altho sorry it's too bright and text have not been adjusted - it was just a test to see if they would work together)

Scraggy

Attached Thumbnails