Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 03-02-2004 , 03:19 AM

Demon Dragon

Here is my latest work, i was inspired by Mr.R's Displacer Beast... its my first attempt at anything organic and i'm pretty happy with how its turning out, its been quite a learning experiance either way.. as of right now he needs a head (obviously)and wings... and i need to attach his limbs to the body in a convincing manner

Attached Images

AIM: Psuedo Realizm
# 2 03-02-2004 , 03:24 AM

Head Concepts

here are some dragon head concepts i sketched out, heh, my drawing isnt very good, but i think it gets the point acrossed

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 03-02-2004 , 03:25 AM
anyways, any crits and comments would be helpful

# 4 03-02-2004 , 04:48 AM
Subscriber
Looks like a cool concept. I like the tail. Its unusual. on the modeling you have so fare. the side of the body is still to flat. Though I realize you might not have gotten to that yet.

umm I vote for the top head in your hand drawings, but with maybe coloring like the one of the most right side of that picture.

# 5 03-02-2004 , 04:53 AM
yeah, thanks for pointing the sides out, i have a problem of not paying enough attention to detail on the sides for some reason.. if you look at my supra a few pages back you'll notice the same thing, i figure if i add a rib cage and attach the legs right, it should give it nice form, thanks for the tips on the head, i like the top left one the best as well, but head modeling has always been a challenge for me.. i'll do my best

# 6 03-02-2004 , 04:56 AM
I agree with Pony about the head and the side of the body. The anatomy looks feline to me, so I would suggest that maybe you find some feline images just to reference occassionally.
Other than that I think it's a great idea and you should continue to work on it.
I think that striped head is going to look cool once you get it textured. Haven't really seen any dragons with striped scales.

Improve
# 7 03-02-2004 , 05:17 AM
ahhhh yes, very nice creation ya got there, as long as you keep the flow of the body moving up the neck into the head i dont see any real problems...........

I Can't Understand What I'm Thinking
# 8 03-02-2004 , 05:33 AM
yeah, i plan to keep the neck and head straight with the spine... cant go wrong with that

# 9 11-09-2004 , 10:10 AM

FINALLY GOT A HEAD!

yes.. after a loooong wait.. i've finally got the skills to make an acceptable head..the feeling that your progressing through maya (even if it is slowly) truly is a great feeling

i've still got ALOT of tweaking to do.. but this is about the basic shape the creature will be

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 11-09-2004 , 04:35 PM
Subscriber
Nice work.
You should check out the free cartoon dog modelling vid in the Video Training section. It helped me a lot with organic modelling and it also shows you how to join the limbs to the body.

After the dog tut u may want to check out the SimplyMaya T-rex DVD which I also learned a lot from. You can take a look at my at my t-rex here https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=13357
I ve only been modelling for about 6months but I've come a long since finding this site.

Anyway Id better stop selling Simplymaya to you or they'll have to start paying me commission :p

Keep on going user added image

Last edited by FrenZy; 11-09-2004 at 04:46 PM.
# 11 11-09-2004 , 07:15 PM
Subscriber

yes.. after a loooong wait.. i've finally got the skills to make an acceptable head..the feeling that your progressing through maya (even if it is slowly) truly is a great feeling

I feel ya, dude.

# 12 12-09-2004 , 04:08 AM
ok... yeah i know guys i seriously need to learn how to make my own textures cuase this ones not acceptable.. but i just wanted to slap something together real fast

here it is

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 12-09-2004 , 04:19 AM
hey, cool characteruser added image

you know if you select the character and then go to Edit Polygons > Texture > and select one of the mapping, like planar, or cylindrical mapping, will help alot with your textureinguser added image

# 14 12-09-2004 , 04:25 AM
hey yeah! i see what your saying.. it did make it look a bit better.. i think i remember reading up on this a little while ago.. thanks vedic