Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 06-09-2004 , 11:41 PM
Subscriber

Wierd peeling problem from P to SD

Converted this object from polygon to subD and cannot figure out why it keeps peeling at the corners.. I've combined the seperate polygon objects to one, did merge vertices, etc..

See image, pre and post for illustration.. I think it's probably simple but it is eluding me.. maybe bad habits from lightwave and rhino3d days..

scratching head..

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-09-2004 , 12:20 AM
The vertices in that section are not merged... Just select that spot and merge them again.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 07-09-2004 , 12:36 AM
Subscriber
Hmmm, I tried it, seemed to work had to drag select that intersection to get the seperate vertices.. now when I try and convert to subD, nothing happens and I get a result 0 thing in the text box... arggggg

# 4 07-09-2004 , 12:39 AM
Post up the file and i'll have a look if you want when i can get to it.

But from the pictures it have something to do with the verts,

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 5 07-09-2004 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber
Ok Dk.. here it is.. my layers thing looks pretty strange, still learning how cut and paste does strange things.. it's the main polygon object..

I place a small cone object pointing right at the problem area I was illustrating..

Thanks
Arg

PS the result:0 (error?) message i was getting is the most annoying thing.. I have had a couple times where my polygon object stopped allowing itself to be converted to a subD, not sure why..

Attached Files
File Type: mb gbfight.mb (167.5 KB, 183 views)
# 6 07-09-2004 , 12:58 AM
Ok all I did was polygon> clean up > Nonmanifold Geometry make sure its clicked on. Also went to edit polygons> Normals> and hit each of the options except reverse and soften/harden.

The normals I think was giving you the trouble.

Attached Files
File Type: mb gbfightkurt.mb (156.4 KB, 191 views)

# 7 07-09-2004 , 01:21 AM
Subscriber
I'm still messed up.. I do all that but as soon as I merge vertices in one area, the thing will no longer convert to subD.. and my little text status thing shows result:0

I am so about ready to go back to lightwave.. arg

Tried all the other things and still have that vertex thingie.. grin.. where is mtmkinley with a video tutorial of what you did.. heh