Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-04-2007 , 12:09 AM
Subscriber

Female Body

hey guys I need critique on her anatomy. I know its way off, but I'm not sure whats wrong to be exact. Proportions off? Muscles?

anyhow thanks in advance.

Andy

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 12-04-2007 , 12:16 AM
Subscriber
her butt looks like it hangs down a little too far... and I think something isn't right about the arms but I'm still a newbie to this so I could be wrong.

# 3 12-04-2007 , 02:05 AM
Subscriber
It looks great, just the thing that I'm looking at is the side view, the rear deltoid area, it might use a little more rounding. Everything else is looking very good.

# 4 12-04-2007 , 08:11 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Anhslaught

Looks like a good start to me. As far as proportions are concerned, check the arm length, they look a little short. Also worth noting to make things a bit more realistic, make the hips a little wider, as they are the same as the ribs atm. The butt is fine to me, maybe raise it to firm it out a little but its not that great an issue as oppose to the arms

Keep it up. Can you do some closer shots of the head too?

Best
Jay

# 5 12-04-2007 , 06:13 PM
Hi Anhslaught,

Does look like you've got the basis for a good model there.
Things that jump out at me are:
- the hand size on the arms being a bit small
- front knee position 'seems' a bit low from the front view and makes the leg length seem off
- front of ankles need some more shaping as it looks a little off, either that or the foot size just needs checking
- lower front of neck where it goes into the clavicle area is a bit far back set. You'd expect the front of the neck to have a more straight vertical edge than the current curve
- head size 'seems' a little big but I find it hard to judge with the hair on user added image

Looking good though, keep it up and show us a damn good end product user added image

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 6 12-04-2007 , 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
her butt looks like it hangs down a little too far... and I think something isn't right about the arms but I'm still a newbie to this so I could be wrong.

Totally agree with Rhetoric Camel...the butt needs a more realistic look

But the rest looks really nice....did you modelled it in polygons?

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
# 7 13-04-2007 , 02:31 AM
Subscriber
I didn't do anything with the butt yet, but I changed a lot of what was mentioned. I'm not exactly sure what you guys meant, but I tried to do what was suggested.

I made the hip/lower body wider than the ribcage,

I moved the neck forward, closer to the clavical, something I never realized til now,

I had no idea whats wrong with the ankles, but I did something about it, not sure if thats what you're talking about though,

I moved the knees up a bit, I thought it looked kinda wierd before also,

I extended the arm length, I think it looks better now,

I rounded the deltoid a bit, now it doesn't have that sharp edge like it did before,

I kept the head size the same, I took the hair off to make it look smaller user added image Side view does look a bit big though, not sure if thats right or not,

I enlarged the hands, it did look small before I agree,

I changed the neck area, adams apple is gone lol,

PS: I did this in polygon, converted to subd for sculpting. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 13-04-2007 , 02:36 AM
Subscriber
Here's the head. I don't think I'll do anything to it at the moment. I intentionally made it cartoony/comic. Based it as close as Michael turner's female heads as best I can.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 13-04-2007 , 02:39 AM
Subscriber
Here's the drawing. Doesn't look too much like it, but I tried. :-p

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 13-04-2007 , 03:44 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I think you're on the right track with the head, it just needs a bit of smoothing on the lips and perhaps a bit of rounding out to, same with the nose

Cheers
Jay

# 11 13-04-2007 , 03:49 AM
I think her actual chest size is a little too big (not her breasts). Other than that it looks good.

Trainee Solicitor believe it or not

Portfolio - Click Here
# 12 13-04-2007 , 05:34 AM
looking good user added image

the only thing that really catches my eye is the following area. I might be wrong but the neck and the back of that neck area still looks a bit pronounced.
Here's my take on altering it slightly although I'm no expert user added image

Attached Images

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 13 14-04-2007 , 08:28 PM
19 year Veteran
Looking very impressive Anhslaught!

The deltoids, shoulder blades, and glutes are the parts that need a bit more tweaking at this stage. But anyway, the over all topology is very well done.

# 14 15-04-2007 , 12:43 AM
Subscriber
Nice stuff. Some food for thought.

Art and imagery is about selling the illusion.

If you look at the original drawing her lower lip looks really full. He's placed a thinner upper lip to illustrate that. How do you show something is big? Put a smaller object next to it.
How do you show something is hard and massive? Put something soft next to it. These are old often used tricks.

The angular face in the drawing, contrast nicely with the soft features of the eyes and lips. I think you can capture some more of this (should you want to).

Her neck in the drawing is made thinner and longer. Gives her a majestic look. Another common cute trick.

On a more general anatomy note, if you are interested in proportion and why people have suggested some of the above in their C&C. Read Loomis and anatomy books. They are pure gold.

Keep this up. Excellent work.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 15 18-04-2007 , 09:03 AM
Subscriber
Cool thanks for the critique. I just fixed some of the stuff mentioned. The back, the shoulder, the neck and the butt. I don't think it's perfect, but might be good enough you think? I rounded the lips and the nose a bit too. I didn't want to do too much to the head though. I'll check out loomis and anatomy books. user added image

Andy

Attached Thumbnails