Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-08-2008 , 12:18 AM

NURBS to Polygon Problem! help!

Hi Everyone

Still nubin' around with maya, and trying out all the free tutorials and getting better and better.. I guess... user added image

I'm doing the Cartoon Dog by Kurt Boulitier and I'm at the stage where every piece is converted into polygons etc, you know the drill.

I running maya 2008, which ofc isn't the version Kurt is using in that tutorial, so I'm having a hard time finding the various tools etc. When the dogs head and neck is to be merged Kurt uses the Boolean operation which I found in -> Polygons -> Mesh -> Boolean (think it's right?)

but...

When I use the Union tool both the head and the neck disappears. Pretty stuck at this point! Help me pls user added image a high five to the one who can enlighten me

- mdl

# 2 24-08-2008 , 12:56 AM
Jr.Who

# 3 24-08-2008 , 01:07 AM
Erm.. I must admit I'm really new at this.

How does cleanup work?

still not working.

# 4 24-08-2008 , 01:11 AM
Jr.Who
Haha… you have to tinker around with the settings to get it right, and at a point where it doesn't screw up your geo. Check out the help files (F1).

# 5 24-08-2008 , 01:12 AM
hehe yeah seems to be working now.. funny with this maya thing.. I just had to move the pieces a bit then it worked! thanks !!

I was going mental user added image

# 6 24-08-2008 , 03:32 AM
Subscriber
they probably weren't intersecting properly

btw, did you name youself after the file extension mdl in Source mods?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D