Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-01-2012 , 08:08 PM

Changing "invert selection" shortcut

Hey guys,
I have been trying to adapt Maya more to my liking and would like Ctrl to be "Subtract from Selection", Shift to be "Add to Selection" and Shift+Ctrl to be "Inverse Selection".
However, I can't seem to find the ACTUAL Inverse Selection under [Window/Settings and Preferences/Hotekey Editor].
I change the "InvertSlection to Ctrl + Alt + Shift, but NOTHING happens when I try to do it.

So does anyone know how I can change InverseSelection from "Shift+Drag" to "Ctrl+Shift+Drag"?
and AddToSelection from "Ctrl+Shift+Drag to Shift+Drag"
Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

Thank you very much. user added image

Last edited by MadVlru; 21-01-2012 at 08:31 PM.
# 2 22-01-2012 , 06:56 AM
The Nurb Herd
Don't know how to do this sorry... but why would you even want to do this? I don't know what your goal is with maya, but if it's to work proffesionally then it's going to be a hinderence to make lots of changes and add lots of shortcuts.

# 3 22-01-2012 , 07:52 AM

Don't know how to do this sorry... but why would you even want to do this? I don't know what your goal is with maya, but if it's to work proffesionally then it's going to be a hinderence to make lots of changes and add lots of shortcuts.

Well, in every single application I use, holding Shift will add to selection and holding Control will subtract from selection. I have no idea why Autodesk decided to do it this way... :/

# 4 22-01-2012 , 12:53 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
To Inverse a selection by pressing Shift in Maya couldnt really be easier, and as Dom said why would you wanna change it and it will be a hinderance just to match another software programme. Change is always good and can sometimes be more beneficial than the 'old' way

If you are looking for Inverse selection in the hotkey editor its actually assigned to Edit under the 'Category' list on the left and in the 'Commands' list on the right is called 'Invert' Selection and not 'Inverse'

But as for the other one you want....its not there mate

Jay

# 5 22-01-2012 , 05:48 PM
Well Maya was not written by adobe which in my opinion has the least intuitive and most convoluted user interface known to man and follows the convention you are describing as do many of the 2D paint programs!

In Maya shift-click does in fact add to a selection and ctrl-click subtracts from a selection.

It is only the invert selection that differs and simply shift selecting to invert a selection is far better, in my opinion, then having a special third key combination to achieve it.

To answer your question though, there are some key combinations that are hard coded into Maya and cannot be changed and the invert selection method is one of those.

This entire topic of making one application behave like another has been brought up before and although it seems like it would be easier to make everything behave the same in the end it is never possible, and if you cannot bring your environment settings with you everywhere you go then you end up not being able to use some programs because you have hidden and therefore never learned the applications UI.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 10-08-2023 , 03:12 AM

Selection should be Easy. "Ctrl" and "Shift" Are your friends.

Hey guys,
I have been trying to adapt Maya more to my liking and would like Ctrl to be "Subtract from Selection", Shift to be "Add to Selection" and Shift+Ctrl to be "Inverse Selection".
However, I can't seem to find the ACTUAL Inverse Selection under [Window/Settings and Preferences/Hotekey Editor].
I change the "InvertSlection to Ctrl + Alt + Shift, but NOTHING happens when I try to do it.

So does anyone know how I can change InverseSelection from "Shift+Drag" to "Ctrl+Shift+Drag"?
and AddToSelection from "Ctrl+Shift+Drag to Shift+Drag"
Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

Thank you very much. user added image

Reading the rest of the replies on this thread -- I am smiling to myself, because I hear less of a "progressive altruism" than I do an innovative façade to obscure and excuse the inadequacy of the individuals trying to answer your post user added image

Selection is a rudimentary function - And it should be easy to do.

In Open Maya and try this with me - Let's restore your faith in Autodesk.

"CTRL + SHIFT + LMB (+ drag) " to ADD to any existing selection. That was beautiful. Go get yourself a drink. You deserve one.
"CTRL + LMB (+ drag)" to SUBTRACT from any existing selection. Breathtaking. Simple problems have simple solutions? Oh, yes they do.

Never let the lack of an answer constitute the lack of a solution.