Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-05-2013 , 09:20 AM

Modelling a house with interior and exterior

hi folks,
i am new to maya and i try to modell a house with interior and exterior.
i found a lot of tutorials, but the most are exterior or interior and not both together.
my question is now, what is the best way to start? should i use boxmodelling or is there a better way?
i try to use the extrude tool, but there i have the problem i dont know, what is the best way to create the windows, doors and floors?
hope you have some hints and tips for me.

Thanks

# 2 03-05-2013 , 09:38 AM
Lifetime Member
Extrude is the best way to go mate. Personally I prefer Google Sketchup for buildings as it is a lot quicker, but each to their own. Check out Davids tutorial in here for at least the interior, get that done then do the outside user added image

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 03-05-2013 , 11:25 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.
Why should i start with the interior? doesnt make it more sense to build the outside walls first and then create the inside?
Another question, when i extrude my walls, what is the best way to create the windows and floors?

# 4 03-05-2013 , 12:03 PM
The thin red line
I would get some real house plans don't think it matter inside or out side first, make all the walls first as you can cut out holes for the doors and windows at a latter date. As most have the same type of door or window frames I would make a master of each and copy and place as needed..........this window frame is just a extrude a face of a box in same could be done for a door frame but you might want to add more detail and bevel some of the edges................dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 31-07-2014 , 08:40 AM
Lifetime Member
Windows can be extruded inwards. Maybe you can create the outer walls in a seperate layer, and when you're finished, hide it. Then you can work on the floor and inside without the outer walls being in the way?

# 6 04-08-2014 , 10:33 PM
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
^ use the insert edge loop tool to get more geometry, those 2 edges is the first step to a chimney, in this case.
user added image
user added image
user added image
^ for interior use the insert edge loop tool, delete one face, replace it with a door or something and use the camera to move around inside the house to add objects. Floors are usually pretty easy to create, usually a texture on the floor faces will create a nice floor.

hope that helped you a litle atleast. when i was a noobie i loved making those houses. and remember, always go from low-polygon to high-poly. more details on your house requires more polygons, the most useful tools would be extrude, scale and move, merge vertexes and insert edge-loop tool

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^