Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 26-06-2013 , 04:39 AM

MIB Color Mix

I've watched a couple of tutorials about this node but it doesn't cover the desired effect I'm needing or the instructor isn't very good at describing all the steps. My goal is to render a diffused decal on top of a base layer using architectural materials.

I understand how to stack the miaX shaders in the mix node (base goes in slot 0 and the decal in slot 1 of the color section), and the alpha into the Weight 1 slot. The result however, is the decal covering the base layer completely. No masking at all.

I have no idea how to get it to work, nor do I understand how to get the color mix onto my object. I've piped the mix node into the color slot of several different type of shaders but it renders black.

BTW, Mode 1 has been set to Mix, Multiply and Add to no avail.

Does anyone know how to get this node to work in the manner I'm trying?

# 2 26-06-2013 , 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Plug the color mix into the "Material Shader` channel in the mental ray section of a dummy shading group node.

Edit: If you're connecting the .outAlpha of a file texture that doesn't actually store alpha info into the color mix weight. Then you might consider checking on "Alpha is luminance" under the file node's color balance section.

- Genny

Last edited by Gen; 26-06-2013 at 09:44 AM.