Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 30-12-2013 , 11:32 PM
Subscriber

Old Wine Barrel

Hi guy's,

I need again your advise. Want to model such an old wine barrel for a game. Would you start out with a cylinder, a pipe or maybe just only with one plank and bend it, then duplicate special all the rest around?

Taking a cylinder it increase my polys tremendously, if I keep down the subdivision the barrel is not round but squared.

Any good idea?

You all, Happy New Year and healthiness!

Attached Thumbnails

# 2 30-12-2013 , 11:54 PM
What sort of textures (if any) are you using? Why not a simple cylinder (formed a bit) with a texture, if it's for a game. You could also revolve it with a curve, I think, I've never tried it but I think it's revolve once you have a curve drawn..

# 3 31-12-2013 , 12:47 AM
I would do a cylinder and cut in an edge loop. Then scale that loop out. Then cut the other two loops and scale those out. Now you have the rounded barrel. Last I would split those loops and extrude outward to create the metal rings. Simple as that.

EDIT: Added an image to help. In the wise words of LeonLabyk "Nice Barrel."

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 31-12-2013 at 12:53 AM.
# 4 02-01-2014 , 11:16 AM
Subscriber
Thank you both for your suggestions!
I tried both methods and I prefer Chavfister one. In order to save some polys I have not modeled out the metal rings. Instead draw them in Photoshop as texture and used a bump/normal map to give them some depth.

Thank you all.