Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 15-01-2004 , 02:51 PM

softies

Ok, is there a way to have a ridgid object sit on a softie without breaking through? Is there are way to sit a rigid sphere on a soft plane, and have the plane conform around the sphere, like a rock sitting in a cloth that is tied to posts at each of its corners, so the plane hangs down with the weight of the sphere, but does not allow it to penetrate?

# 2 16-01-2004 , 12:29 AM
Subscriber
If your sphere isn't ridged because your doing a lot of other dynamic's with it.. like bouncing it around like a ping pong. thin I would key frame its drop and just not have it go through the softy..

Softy's just are not able to influence other objects dynamically in any meaningful way. So anything can be pushed through it. Even key framed if your not careful.

Soft body dynamic's are calculated linearly. Meaning a object influences the softbody first. Thin that soft body can influence the first object, but because the soft is already influence. It doesn’t have anything to add or take away from the movement or shape of the other object.
Like its possible to have to softbodys collide with each other. But when you run the dynamic's it looks like it doesn’t work. Because one of them will stay the same shape mostly. Its because as I said.. soft1 calculates 1st and is deformed buy the shape of 2. when soft2 starts being calculated, soft1 is already in a shape that surrounds 2 and doesn’t push in on it in any way.

# 3 16-01-2004 , 12:37 AM
Subscriber
Oh sorry besides key framing, another easy fix for this is to make a second plain and have that be a ridged body for the sphere to bounce on, or sit on dynamically. You would put the second plain just underneath the 1st one.. and hide the 2nd if it became visible in your renders..

# 4 16-01-2004 , 12:29 PM
ok, I see. I was also thinking along the lines of hiding an object for the sphere to sit on, so I will try that.

Thanks!

Lungs not guns....
# 5 16-01-2004 , 12:33 PM
so i will turn off particles in the ridgid so it does not react with the softie? This must be why it is bouncing round on the surface user added image

Lungs not guns....
# 6 17-01-2004 , 12:54 AM
Subscriber
eather that or its bouncing hard on the solid plain you put there..to keep it from going through the softy.

# 7 23-01-2004 , 10:06 PM
ok, will try that.

Lungs not guns....