Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-12-2012 , 06:59 PM

Texturing large areas?

Hi. I'm texturing a ground surface to resemble asphalt but can't quite get it where I'd like it. I'm uv mapping it but my question is, is it better to split the surface up into smaller faces if I want the uv's to lay smaller? And, when deciding on a texture pic, how do you know what size to use, i.e. small, medium, or large. That I'm sure is a dumb question, depends on the surface I'm sure but just wanted to see what you guys had to say. Here are a few pics (snips) of what I'm trying to do. My settings are not right I know but I'm not worried about those until I can make the ground to look like asphalt. I split the plane up into smaller faces and it kind of looks like I want it but not quite. This is metalartguy guy by the way..user added image

Also, there are two different textures as you can see, can't decide on which I like better. The cracked one looks like a granite countertop..lol. Smaller faces, then uv map all of it once?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by cj74; 19-12-2012 at 08:31 PM.
# 2 19-12-2012 , 07:20 PM
The thin red line
There are no picsuser added image, texture scale will be relative to your scene find some references of some thing simular to what you are doing............dave

# 3 19-12-2012 , 08:32 PM
Similar to a parking lot then?

# 4 19-12-2012 , 09:46 PM
The thin red line
For me the texture look far to large if the car is the scale, at that distance you sould hardly see the tarmac...................dave

# 5 19-12-2012 , 10:10 PM
Ya, still working that out too..lol. Now Ive got white specs all over the building. And, sometimes when I go to apply a texture it doesn't show up or it even shows up as the wrong texture. Sill working on the ground (tarmac) too.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 19-12-2012 , 11:23 PM
The thin red line
What are you using to render.................dave

Edit: I think I know what those spots are, they are just reflections from the tarmac

Last edited by daverave; 19-12-2012 at 11:29 PM.
# 7 19-12-2012 , 11:52 PM
mental ray but I haven't gone in and adjusted anything yet so youre probaly right.

# 8 20-12-2012 , 12:40 AM
It wasnt the render settings. I kept trying to texture certain faces on the building and they werent showing up (textures). I double sided the render settings and the textures that werent showing up showed up. I couldnt for some reason retexture over them even a shader wouldnt work.. I ended up having to delete the building (after trying to just delete faces and fill hole tool wouldnt work) and start from scratch user added image. That's what I meant about some of the textures not showing up, they were but for some reason they werent, weird I know, hard to explain.

# 9 20-12-2012 , 03:12 AM
Super Moderator
Your renders are a bit squashed, check the pixel aspect ratio. If you're talking about deciding on the texture resolution you might want to check out this info. If you're asking about the texture scale then yeah, the asphalt texture is out of proportion with the rest of the scene.

Also, you could try using a lambert shader or any other matte surface to test out the textures, I find it less hassling as reflections/refractions can create illusions and avoiding the added render times is a bonus. As for the building that wasn't showing any texture, if it's not software rendering with any texturing even though it has UV's laid out, then you could try exporting the object as an obj and importing it again and see if that works (I remember someone else had that problem and it was just baffling until I threw my hands up and tried that lol).

- Genny
# 10 20-12-2012 , 03:37 AM
Where were you two hours ago, lol just kidding. Ya, I can't really explain it very well but the building was low poly so remaking it wasn't a huge deal just a hassle I suppose. I'm importing a lot of different assets into the scene and most are already set to mental so that's why I'm using mental to render with but I'm with you on lamberts and cutting down on the render time, thank you.

# 11 20-12-2012 , 12:45 PM
rm3d
did you say that you couldnt re shade the building, on top of shaders you already had on it? what if you went into the hypersahde and physically deleted the shading nodes you didnt want?? might have gotten rid of the bad history or errors that were stopping you re texture??

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk