Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 27-06-2012 , 08:12 PM

Mass Setting UV coordinates

Hello, I have a scene structured out of an extruded plane to create a minecraft style look for an animation in my class.

Only problem I have is texturing it, There are so many faces in the scene I was wondering if it was possible to 'mass' set the UV coordinates of all selected faces so that they occupy the entire UV space. I would individually map each cube, but it was a 4000x4000 plane with subdivisons set to 40, 40. Too many cubes to UV map effectively to get the project done on time.

So I was wondering, there has to be an easier way to texture this scene than individually moving the faces UV's around. here is a picture of the scene and the UV mapping.

user added image
user added image

# 2 27-06-2012 , 09:04 PM
EduSciVis-er
Select all the top faces and do a planar projection from the top, that's the easy part. Then select sections of the front facing faces and do a series of front planar projections, then move to the left facing faces, then right facing faces, then finally back facing faces if they will get texture. Then you can move the UV planar projected UVs in larger chunks (with the top chunk being the whole area).

# 3 27-06-2012 , 09:10 PM
Great community
Hi vino, I'm not sure if I understood exactly what are you writing about, but solution may be in selecting all those cubes, then open UV texture editor and press that button in the circle, which should move all selected object into UV space.

EDIT: well, stwert was faster them me lol

C

Attached Thumbnails

May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow.
# 4 27-06-2012 , 09:30 PM
The thin red line
I would just do a automap, it does every thing that Stwert said in one action..........................dave

Edit:I dont have that button Creck if thats automapping sorry for jumping in

Last edited by daverave; 27-06-2012 at 09:38 PM.
# 5 27-06-2012 , 09:46 PM
Great community
It's not exactly a automap dave, all it does is, that it fit all selected UVs into the entire UV space (also resize them if needed).

May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow.
# 6 27-06-2012 , 10:09 PM
The thin red line
Sounds like "layout" I think, This sort of stuff is I think hardest to uv as there are going to be so meny seam showing you realy nead some thing like mudbox or zbrush to fix that..............dave

# 7 27-06-2012 , 11:19 PM
Great community
dave, I guess he doesn't even need to use automap, maybe could be enough what I've made so far. Select all objects, open UV texture editor and press that button.

PS: do not know why the mouse cursor is not seen in the video :/ also let youtube to correct colors in the video and now it looks like HDR toning a bit lol...sorry for that

help 002 - YouTube

Last edited by Creck; 28-06-2012 at 08:35 AM.
# 8 28-06-2012 , 11:39 AM
Lifetime Member
I would just select the top camera....select the geo (hopefully no faces underneath) project from camera and use the smooth tool? and pin borders maybe?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 28-06-2012 , 04:02 PM
Technical Director

dave, I guess he doesn't even need to use automap, maybe could be enough what I've made so far. Select all objects, open UV texture editor and press that button.

That would work if each of his cubes were separate; however his cubes are modeled in as one piece of geometry.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 10 03-07-2012 , 08:59 PM

Thank you

Thank you all, Your suggestions worked great!

P.S - Really sorry for the long reply, was really busy! Thank you all!

# 11 03-07-2012 , 10:11 PM
Great community
you are welcome mate user added image

That would work if each of his cubes were separate; however his cubes are modeled in as one piece of geometry.

Yeah ND, I just didn't realize that it's one piece of geo at first sight ...