Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 13-08-2012 , 10:25 AM

Polygons always facing camera

Hi,

My problem is almost strange, and I don't know if I can explain myself very well..

What i have: curved surface (basically a side surface of a cilinder that don't turns around over 360 degree.. but that is almost unfolded)

What I whant: each polygon that compose the curved surface must always have his normal on the camera side (but mantaining his normals propertis..).

So, for example, if I have a plane and a camera that turns around it, the normal of that plane must reverse each time the camera turn on the "back" of the plane so I can see the shaded face instead of the "invisible" back of the same face.

I haven't mentioned that I have double sided disabled, and I don't whant enable it because this doesn't solve my problem with normals direction.

Thanks for any help.

(And apologize for my creepy english)

# 2 13-08-2012 , 10:42 AM
you can simply extrude faces a bit.

# 3 13-08-2012 , 11:02 AM
well.. yes, but I prefer to mantain as low as possible my polycount.

# 4 13-08-2012 , 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
You could try aim constraining the geometry to the camera. You can even create a locator, parent it to the geometry and then aim constrain the camera to the locator so the camera and geometry are always looking at each other.

- Genny